Woodland Mushroom Identification

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #31250

    Have recently been trying to successfully ID a few more mushrooms and learn the latin names.

    Really struggling to find reference and ID anything more miscellaneous like these guys.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    #41919
    Lancashire Lad
    Moderator

      Hi, and welcome to UK Fungi.

      It would help to know whether the fallen trunk upon which they are growing is deciduous or conifer.

      From the general appearance, they have the looks of one of the Tubaria species – maybe T.confragosa.

      Regards.

      Mike.

      #41920
      eltio
      Participant

        Could it be Honey Fungus?

        #41921
        adampembs
        Keymaster

          eltio wrote:


          Could it be Honey Fungus?

          No, looks quite wrong for honey fungus. What Mike said. Looks like a brown spored species. Was this found recently?

          #41922

          Hello,

          I think it could well be Galerina marginata, though Tubaria confragosa is also possible.

          best, Andreas

          #41923

          Lancashire Lad wrote:


          Hi, and welcome to UK Fungi.

          It would help to know whether the fallen trunk upon which they are growing is deciduous or conifer.

          From the general appearance, they have the looks of one of the Tubaria species – maybe T.confragosa.

          Regards.

          Mike.

          Thanks Mike will check them out. It’s a deciduous log.

          #41924

          adampembs wrote:


          eltio wrote:


          Could it be Honey Fungus?

          No, looks quite wrong for honey fungus. What Mike said. Looks like a brown spored species. Was this found recently?

          Yea found recently.

          Norfolk, UK

          #41925
          adampembs
          Keymaster

            Mossman wrote:


            adampembs wrote:


            eltio wrote:


            Could it be Honey Fungus?

            No, looks quite wrong for honey fungus. What Mike said. Looks like a brown spored species. Was this found recently?

            Yea found recently.

            Norfolk, UK

            A spore print would help. Honey fungus would be white and Tubaria would be a dull brown.

            #41926
            Lancashire Lad
            Moderator

              I think that being found recently would completely discount Honey Fungus. – I’m not aware of any Armillaria that fruits (in UK) in spring? (Plus, I completely agree that they don’t look like Honey Fungus).

              Interesting that they were on deciduous wood.

              Tubaria confragosa and Andreas’ suggestion of Galerina marginata both favour conifer – (but they are sometimes found on deciduous wood too!). However, both species are generally found in summer to late autumn, which would seem to rule them out also.

              I’m still of the opinion that these do look like Tubaria – which does have species that might be found fruiting early in the year.

              Regards,

              Mike.

              #41927
              adampembs
              Keymaster

                I think Armillaria is more strict on its timing than the other 2. It appears suddenly everywhere, then its gone. Just my theory, but I put this down to the huge mycelium of Armillaria, while the other two are smaller. Also, the other two are pure saprobes, so their metabolism is more local, being tied to the environment of a smaller host (humidity, temperature) less linked to that of the trees’ timescales which are more seasonal. I have no evidence for this, so I expect to be corrected !

                #41928
                eltio
                Participant

                  I’m sort of sorry I ever mentioned Armillaria now, but the scaled surface of the lower fb and the general appearance of the stipe and ring still have a familiar look to me. I’d agree on size and timing of course. However, where is your evidence for this being brown spored? Do these photos really say Galerina or Tubaria to you? I still think it’s a puzzle.

                  #41929
                  Lancashire Lad
                  Moderator

                    eltio wrote:

                    . . . . Do these photos really say Galerina or Tubaria to you? I still think it’s a puzzle.

                    I agree that it’s a puzzle – but I remain 100% confident that these aren’t Armillaria. ;)

                    You can see from their general appearance that the fruitbodies in Mossman’s photos are pretty much fully mature, You can also see from the top photo that they aren’t much bigger than his thumbnail.

                    At that sort of size any of the UK’s Armillaria species would look very different. – In all probability the universal veil would not yet have broken away to form the stem ring, and the heads of the fruitbodies would still be much more spherical in shape, probably well festooned with scaly surface “warts” such as in this photo, (where the fruitbodies, not long emerged, were still considerably larger than Mossman’s): –

                    Honey Fungus - Armillaria mellea.jpg

                    [attachment=0]Honey Fungus – Armillaria mellea.jpg[/attachment]

                    Regards,

                    Mike.

                    #41930
                    eltio
                    Participant

                      Can’t disagree. I’m not trying to push Armillaria as an ID, but neither Galerina nor Tubaria seem right either.

                      #41931
                      adampembs
                      Keymaster

                        eltio wrote:


                        Can’t disagree. I’m not trying to push Armillaria as an ID, but neither Galerina nor Tubaria seem right either.

                        There are around 48 Galerina species, and 5 Tubaria species. The first step in any agaric ID is a spore print. :)

                        #41932

                        Hello,

                        I think one can be sure that this is a brown spored fungus. In the middle fruitbody the ring is beset with brown spore powder, at least it seems to me so.

                        So anyway, there are not many genera which share the following characters:

                        – cap and gills uniformely brown

                        – stipe with memranaceous ring zone

                        – stipe with with silky covering

                        – growing on wood

                        Tubaria wouldn’t have such a ring zone, except Tubaria confragosa. But this species doesn’t have a silky white stipe and occurs on coniferous wood or birch.

                        Pholiotina had come to my mind too, but there the ring is even more stable and moreover these species don’t occure on wood but on soil.

                        A Galerina from the marginata group is in my opinion the most likely answer, and all feature fit well. G. marginata does occure in Central Europe more often on decidous wood than on coniferous wood, and the fruitbodies on decidous wood always look somewhat stouter t(like yours!) than those from conifers.

                        Here a foto of galerina marginata from a pure beech forest, on rotten stem of Fagus – b.t.w. on the same stem also Kuehneromyces mutabilis occured at the same time …..

                        best regards,

                        Andreas

                      Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.