Wallaby

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #29936
    Flaxton
    Participant

      I collected a small sample of the dung of some wild(escaped) wallaby while on the BMS trip to the IOM. There are a few common species growing but one of the more unususal was an Ascobolus hawaiiensis.

      spores.jpg

      [attachment=0]spores.jpg[/attachment]

      Mal

      #37264

      Flaxton wrote:

      I collected a small sample of the dung of some wild(escaped) wallaby while on the BMS trip to the IOM. There are a few common species growing but one of the more unususal was an Ascobolus hawaiiensis.
      [attachment=0]spores.jpg[/attachment]

      Mal


      Well interesting different substrate! I don’t think we have escaped Wallabys in South Wales but we do have escaped Wild Boar! It would be interesting to see what fungi might be found on their faces if it is possible to find and identify.

      #37265
      Flaxton
      Participant

        The only difference is the Wallaby is a herbivore so the dung does not smell. Wild boar is an omnivore so I am not sure what aromas you might have to put up with, still plenty of fungi I would think.

        Mal

        #37266
        adampembs
        Keymaster

          Flaxton wrote:

          The only difference is the Wallaby is a herbivore so the dung does not smell. Wild boar is an omnivore so I am not sure what aromas you might have to put up with, still plenty of fungi I would think.

          Mal

          Not only smell but safety aspects too, worms, various parasites and human pathogenic bacteria like Salmonella have to be contended with.

          #37267

          adampembs wrote:

          Flaxton wrote:

          The only difference is the Wallaby is a herbivore so the dung does not smell. Wild boar is an omnivore so I am not sure what aromas you might have to put up with, still plenty of fungi I would think.

          Mal

          Not only smell but safety aspects too, worms, various parasites and human pathogenic bacteria like Salmonella have to be contended with.


          I’m not seriously thinking of looking for Wild Boar (ghosts of the forest) dung. I will leave that up to NRW and the police! Release of Wild Boar from licensed farm during burglary near Maesteg in 2014 and now seem to be breeding in the wild.

          #37268

          Only just spotted this Mal, this is what you refer to on FB ………… 😳

        Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.