Unknown bolete

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #29418
    eltio
    Participant

      Any suggestions about this? I can’t do conifers, but I’m pretty sure it’s not a larch. You can just see the two fruit bodies at the base. They were very dry, but I think the cap had been viscid. There is what looks like a dried leaf wrapped tightly around each stipe, but I think it is a membranous ring, peeling downward. At the top of the stipe there are red stipules. Colour unchanging when bruised or cut, although possibly a slight pinkening toward the base of the stipe. No spores yet. Haven’t managed to get it under a microscope. I was thinking Suillus, but it doesn’t look right to me for S. luteus.

      Thanks

      Stipe.jpg

      [attachment=0]Stipe.jpg[/attachment]

      IMG_8584_edited-1.jpg

      [attachment=2]IMG_8584_edited-1.jpg[/attachment]

      IMG_8582.jpg

      [attachment=3]IMG_8582.jpg[/attachment]

      IMG_8579_edited-1.jpg

      [attachment=4]IMG_8579_edited-1.jpg[/attachment]

      IMG_8572_edited-1.jpg

      [attachment=5]IMG_8572_edited-1.jpg[/attachment]

      #34665
      Lancashire Lad
      Moderator

        I think you’re correct with Suillus – but which?

        Is the site located somewhere where you can easily make a return visit?

        I’d initially thought that the tree did look like Larix – but I’m not sure.

        If you can get back to the site and have a look for cones etc. under the tree (plus a close shot of the needles) that might help.

        Four likely suspects would be S. luteus, S. collinitus, S. cavipes, and S. grevillei. – but the macro characteristics in your shots don’t seem to be an ideal fit for any one of them.

        Regards,

        Mike.

        #34666

        Surely S. luteus. It has the typical sepia-brown ring and lower stipe (although the images don’t show the whole length of the stipe).

        #34667
        eltio
        Participant

          Thanks both. I’m happy with S. luteus. I have only seen it once or twice before, and always with a deep chestnut brown cap, so the dirty streaky yellow fooled me. I’ll know better in future.

        Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.