Strange Fungi

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #31655

    I found a strange fungi and wondered if you could tell me what it was.

    from Josie Lowe

    P1020039 20%.jpg

    [attachment=0]P1020039 20%.jpg[/attachment]

    #42967

    Looks a bit like Mensularia radiata but Fuscoporia is possible apart from the effusion being a little too reflexed maybe.

    #42968
    eltio
    Participant

      It’s difficult to tell from your photo what we are looking at. I think it’s something growing on a tree trunk. I can’t see any familiar structures, so it’s possible that it’s too old to tell. Adding close-ups is a good idea.

      #42969

      Well I came back to have a look if you had uploaded any more pics and see if it looked like Oak Curtain Crust but this pic is pants lol where’s the update mate!

      #42970
      DavidCareyHadlow
      Participant

        Hi Josie,

        it does look a little bit like a rather old cluster of Alder Bracket, Mensularia radiata, but I can’t really be sure. Worth going back for another look? That would be my best bet anyway. All the best with finding interesting fungi!

        I will try to attach a picture of what I think is an even older cluster to compare with, found on a dead standing trunk of an Alder in a wet part of my local woods, almost on the side of a stream. It is only an annual fruiting body in this species, that seems to go past its best quite quickly, so I think we often see it senescent and way past its best.

        There would be little to see in a close-up of my picture either, as all that is left is some of the hardened and blackened caps, with some of the hardened dried out redder flesh as a matrix that the caps stick out of, but I think that there are enough features, together with knowing that the host tree is a Common Alder, to take a fair guess at its identity.

        I would agree that it is a bit too “reflexed” (sticking out as a cap, as opposed to just being a flattened crust on the bark), to be likely to be Fuscoporia, known as Cinnamon or Rusty Porecrust..

        Cheers, David.

        IMG Alder Bracket, Mensularia radiata possibly , Dene Park, Hadlow, 2022 03 25 _ 17 24 15.jpg

        [attachment=0]IMG Alder Bracket, Mensularia radiata possibly , Dene Park, Hadlow, 2022 03 25 _ 17 24 15.jpg[/attachment]

      Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.