Spring/Summer Soil Fungi

Forums › Forums › General fungi discussion › Spring/Summer Soil Fungi

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #29408

    The peak time for fungi is definitely autumn I think, and there is a ‘quiet’ time for people who don’t often go out on forays like me during Spring and Summer. So far this season (Spring/Summer) I have only found one fungus growing in the soil and that was Felted Twiglet (Tubaria conspersa).

    Are there any good Spring/Summer soil fungus species and where should I look for them?

    #34629

    I think a very dry April (even in South Wales) has caused problems for fungi in general. I found St.George’s Mushroom in May last year but it hasn’t shown this year. I haven’t found any soil fungi lately. Morrels and allies are usually found in spring but I haven’t found any despite knowing a couple of sites where they have been found in previous years. On trees Chicken of the Woods and Dryad’s Saddle are currently showing. On a Foray tomorrow at Merthyr Mawr Sand Dunes but we are not expecting to find much despite some rain recently.

    #34630

    Thanks for your help Mark!

    We have Chicken of the Woods in our local nature reserve, Hedgecourt, so I might see that. I’m visiting Ashdown Forest on Sunday, which is a network of woodland and heathland good for specialist fungi. Are there any good heathland fungi which can be found at this time of year?

    #34631

    Just remembered a couple of others I have seen this year – Parasols looking very dry on sand dunes plus an Agrocybe unknown species at same location. Also Common Inkcap again very dry plus probably a Parasola species unknown on local lawns

    #34632

    I think you might find Bog Beacon at this time of year in wetter areas of heathland – not one I have found myself

    #34633

    I have just searched up Bog Beacon and I think finding it would be likely, if I look hard enough. It is a very pretty mushroom! Ashdown Forest is littered with streams and marshy areas, which seems to be a good habitat for this species from photos of it growing. If I find it and photograph it I’ll post it here. ;)

    #34634
    adampembs
    Keymaster

      It’s a good time for rust fungi. They are also easier to identify as each host only gets parasitised by a small number of species.

      #34635

      Also plenty of Scutellinia (Eyelash Fungus) about, usually on damp wood near water

      DSC_0038.JPG

      [attachment=0]DSC_0038.JPG[/attachment]

      Good luck

      John

      #34636

      I tried dreadfully hard to find a rust in my garden this morning, no luck at all. Which plants would you say get parasitized the most would you say? Then maybe I’ll look out for rusts on those especially.

      As for the Eyelash Fungus, I’ve never seen one! But now I know where to look I’ll keep my eyes open!

      Thank you both for your comments, I’m a complete beginner with fungi!

      #34637
      adampembs
      Keymaster

        I’m new to rusts too, but a good place to start is by reading the rust and smut forum. Some photos there to help. Roadsides are good places to look. Look for dying /sick plants. I have some Lemon Balm with Septoria leaf spot (its an asco not a rust, but still a fungus to add to the list!)

        #34638

        Thanks again Adam. I’ll look for some rusts again soon.

        It turns out I did find a fungus on a walk today, which I wasn’t expecting. I have posted it in the forum for fungi identification:

        http://www.fungi.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=99 (I hope this type of link is OK).

        DSCN1997 resize.jpg

        [attachment=0]DSCN1997 resize.jpg[/attachment]

        #34639

        I’ve had a lot of Rust on Common Groundsel – on road sides also Nettle Clustercup on Sting Nettles is in my garden.

        Mark

        #34640

        We do have a lot of Nettles near us, unfortunately no Groundsel.

        #34641

        I went out for half an hour just now in a gap in the terrible weather, but didn’t find much. I found this Slime Mould (posted in the Myxo forum) but no Eyelash Fungi or Nettle Clustercup despite there being huge patches of Stinging Nettle near us.

        DSCN2066 r.jpg

        [attachment=1]DSCN2066 r.jpg[/attachment]
        But looking at the NBN Gateway map for Puccinia urticata the nearest record is about 30 miles away from us.

        NBN Gateway map for Nettle Clustercup.png

        [attachment=0]NBN Gateway map for Nettle Clustercup.png[/attachment]

      Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.