Rusts on Bramble

Forums › Forums › Rusts, Smuts, and Mildews › Rusts on Bramble

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #30205

    I am perplexed following recent posts on BMS Facebook page. I had thought it was only Kuehneola uredinis that spread from the leaves to the stems but it seems that Phragmidium violaceum (and possibly P.bulbosum?) does the same. It would seem that K.uredinis appears earlier than P.violaceum but I’m not sure this would be a reliable indicator without microscopic back up. I think P.violaceum (and P.bulbosum) should show violet spots on top surface of leaves so this maybe a way to distinguish. I am finding what I presume is one of the Phragmidiums since 4th June but without spread (as yet) to stems). Photo attached of Rust on old stem of Rubus fruticosus agg. no leaves observed, from Crymlyn Bog. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    #38371

    marksteer wrote:

    I am perplexed following recent posts on BMS Facebook page. I had thought it was only Kuehneola uredinis that spread from the leaves to the stems but it seems that Phragmidium violaceum (and possibly P.bulbosum?) does the same. It would seem that K.uredinis appears earlier than P.violaceum but I’m not sure this would be a reliable indicator without microscopic back up. I think P.violaceum (and P.bulbosum) should show violet spots on top surface of leaves so this maybe a way to distinguish. I am finding what I presume is one of the Phragmidiums since 4th June but without spread (as yet) to stems). Photo attached of Rust on old stem of Rubus fruticosus agg. no leaves observed, from Crymlyn Bog. Any thoughts would be appreciated.


    Sorry photo now attached!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.