Resupinate poroid fungus on fallen birch

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #30430

    Afternoon everyone,

    I took a walk in some nearby woodland to look for fungi and stopped to take a photo of a resupinate fungus that I have seen many a time on fallen stems of birch. Using guides I have, the only thing I can relate it to is Trechispora mollusca (specifically the Field Guide to the Resupinates of Hampshire). However, these resupinate masses were not on the underside of the log, but on the upper side instead. In this sense, this contradicts the literature, and am not experienced enough to discern whether this could still be that – or not.

    Does anyone have any knowledge as to what this might be? It’s certainly not too rare, as I have seen it a good few times before now in this woodland (and another nearby). It appears to be causing a white rot. The crust is approximately 1-3mm thick, on average.

    Thanks. :D

    #39212

    One of the most common resupinate poroid fungi is Schizopora paradoxa, which is not unlike yours. I once spent ages photographing and doing microscopy on a really nice resupinate, only to discover it was boring old S. paradoxa. It is quite variable. Personally most of these crusts are microscope jobs, but one of the authors of that book of yours can name many on sight, a combination of experience and a very good memory.

    #39213

    Hi Leif,

    Thank you very much for the info. It’s certainly interesting to note how variable that fungus may be. I am also becoming ever more acutely aware of the fact I really need a microscope. 😆

    Perhaps in 40 years I’ll be able to ID resupinates without a microscope. Until then…

    #39214

    Ganoderma resinaceum wrote:

    Perhaps in 40 years I’ll be able to ID resupinates without a microscope. Until then…

    Nice to have 40 years ahead of you 8-)

    #39215

    Chris Johnson wrote:

    Ganoderma resinaceum wrote:

    Perhaps in 40 years I’ll be able to ID resupinates without a microscope. Until then…

    Nice to have 40 years ahead of you 8-)

    😆 I share the sentiment!

    #39216

    Hah! I am in my early-mid twenties, which also means I am very fresh with my knowledge of fungi. Only been seriously looking into the mycological aspect of things for approx. 6 months, and before that had only a working knowledge of standard wood-decay fungi (largely polypores). I see you guys and whilst age is on my side wisdom is most certainly not! 😆

    #39217
    eltio
    Participant

      Can’t have both. Which would you prefer?

      #39218

      Indeed not. That’s the beauty of it. So what would I rather have? One, and then the other. Honestly, in my youth I desire wisdom, though when I am full of wisdom I will almost certainly desire youth.

      #39219
      eltio
      Participant

        Off topic I know, but most of us would prefer middle age to youth, however wise we are(?).

      Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.