Puffballs/Earthballs growing out of tarmac

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #29887

    They are growing directly out of moss-covered tarmac, very strange. I couldn’t see any wood it could’ve been growing out of.

    RSCN9869r.jpg

    [attachment=0]RSCN9869r.jpg[/attachment]

    #36939

    OK James . . .

    have a stab at it – puffballs or earthballs :?:

    cheers

    Chris

    #36940

    Puffball??? :?

    #36941

    jimmymac2 wrote:

    Puffball??? :?

    Why?

    #36942

    No idea really… Just think it looks more Puffball shaped than Earthball shaped. You can’t beat my logic ;) 😆

    Any idea on species?

    #36943

    jimmymac2 wrote:

    … Just think it looks more Puffball shaped than Earthball shaped. . . .


    shape has little to do with it

    jimmymac2 wrote:

    No idea really… You can’t beat my logic ;) 😆


    that’s not logic – that’s guessing; I’m sure you can do better than that. Did you actually look carefully at this fungus, or just take that photo? As someone once said: “Always keep your eyes open”. ;)

    We’re trying to be helpful, honest.

    #36944

    Quote:

    that’s not logic – that’s guessing


    I was joking!

    I did look more carefully, but this photo is all I have now as the others disappeared from my computer and I had to go out after dark to take that one.

    I’m finding that the site doesn’t focus on identification so much, rather picking out everyone’s flaws. I wonder if it’s just me. I’m quite disappointed at the moment. This site is a great idea.

    #36945
    adampembs
    Keymaster

      jimmymac2 wrote:

      Quote:

      that’s not logic – that’s guessing


      I was joking!

      I did look more carefully, but this photo is all I have now as the others disappeared from my computer and I had to go out after dark to take that one.

      I’m finding that the site doesn’t focus on identification so much, rather picking out everyone’s flaws. I wonder if it’s just me. I’m quite disappointed at the moment. This site is a great idea.

      I think Chris is trying to help you by getting you to work out your own IDs. Many people, like Chris and Leif spend a lot of time looking through books, specialist literature and keys to help us get our IDs. Please remember that they do this for FREE. :D so if sometimes they try to teach you to improve your own analytic approach, ie to apply an investigative mind, don’t complain, thank them ! ;) – sometimes they use a fairly blunt approach… have you ever been to Yorkshire? :D I’ve been scolded a few times, but its always done from a teaching point of view or else it’s just teasing.

      #36946

      adampembs wrote:

      jimmymac2 wrote:

      Quote:

      that’s not logic – that’s guessing


      I was joking!

      I did look more carefully, but this photo is all I have now as the others disappeared from my computer and I had to go out after dark to take that one.

      I’m finding that the site doesn’t focus on identification so much, rather picking out everyone’s flaws. I wonder if it’s just me. I’m quite disappointed at the moment. This site is a great idea.

      I think Chris is trying to help you by getting you to work out your own IDs. Many people, like Chris and Leif spend a lot of time looking through books, specialist literature and keys to help us get our IDs. Please remember that they do this for FREE. :D so if sometimes they try to teach you to improve your own analytic approach, ie to apply an investigative mind, don’t complain, thank them ! ;) – sometimes they use a fairly blunt approach… have you ever been to Yorkshire? :D I’ve been scolded a few times, but its always done from a teaching point of view or else it’s just teasing.

      Don’t you dare suggest I’m from Yorkshire. 😆 Otherwise, yes, good points.

      #36947

      If I have to work it out myself, then I guess I’ll never know what this is. I’ve looked in Phillips but couldn’t find a match, which is why I put it on here. :(

      #36948
      adampembs
      Keymaster

        jimmymac2 wrote:

        If I have to work it out myself, then I guess I’ll never know what this is. I’ve looked in Phillips but couldn’t find a match, which is why I put it on here. :(

        To be honest, I can only tell the difference in specimens which are releasing spores. Puffballs release spores from a central hole, whereas Earthballs split irregularly, ie look like they are breaking apart. I don’t know how to tell the difference in younger fruit bodies.

        #36949

        jimmymac2 wrote:

        Quote:

        that’s not logic – that’s guessing


        I was joking!

        I did look more carefully, but this photo is all I have now as the others disappeared from my computer and I had to go out after dark to take that one.

        I’m finding that the site doesn’t focus on identification so much, rather picking out everyone’s flaws. I wonder if it’s just me. I’m quite disappointed at the moment. This site is a great idea.

        Jimmy, Chris is being helpful, and using his own time in doing so. Most of us, when we start out, fill a box with fungi, and then when back home get nowhere because they all look similar. The reality is that when you find a fungus, you need to examine it at the collection site. Try to avoid touching it, so hold it between thumb and forefinger, the thumb on the cap, the finger on the stem base. What colours do you see? What shapes? Use a hand lens, especially on small ones and Inocybe. What is the smell? Cut one in half. What do you see? Are there many specimens, if so, how do the features change with age. Often gills start out pale, or violacious, and then darken. Is there a cortina? Etc.

        In the case of the ‘puffball’ the obvious check is to cut it in two. Earthballs tend to have much thicker and tougher flesh.

        So, get yourself a notebook. I have many full ones, and recently bought an Amazon Fire tablet to use instead of my iPod Touch.

        #36950
        adampembs
        Keymaster

          Leif wrote:

          Don’t you dare suggest I’m from Yorkshire. 😆 Otherwise, yes, good points.

          Oops, not from Lancashire are you? (you haven’t filled in your profile!) ;)

          #36951

          jimmymac2 wrote:

          If I have to work it out myself, then I guess I’ll never know what this is. I’ve looked in Phillips but couldn’t find a match, which is why I put it on here. :(

          Sticking my oar in as no expert but try lycoperdon umbrinum – Google images. I was looking through to try and ID recently and some of these look like your photo. I do know that Google images are unreliable but it might give you a lead.

          #36952
          Lancashire Lad
          Moderator

            jimmymac2 wrote:

            If I have to work it out myself, then I guess I’ll never know what this is. I’ve looked in Phillips but couldn’t find a match, which is why I put it on here. :(

            Hi Jimmy,

            Don’t take what people are saying as off-putting – take it as constructive criticism (or gentle kick-up-the backside type teasing! ;) :D ).

            People are simply trying to get you to make your own best efforts at ID’ing before asking for help.

            You are definitely learning things – It is clear from some of your recent threads that you are beginning to get to grips with the subject, and some of your microscope photos are pretty good! – I’ve looked at your desmid photos and daphnia etc. and they aren’t bad at all.

            (Just make sure to double-check that you’re always using the right settings when using the measurement software for spores etc. ;) )

            Keep going at this rate and you are on the road to building up a solid knowledge base to progress from.

            However, when you put a photo up, with no detailed description of size/habitat etc. etc., and no mention of what you’ve already done to try to discover what it is, it looks as though you are simply wandering around taking photos, and then asking others to ID things for you.

            If you had said, for example, something like: –

            “I found these, they were growing out of mossy covered tarmac path in a deciduous wood with Beech/Oak/Birch nearby, but I couldn’t see if they were actually growing from wood. The biggest one was about XYZcm across. They had what looked like clumps of spines rather than scales, but they are not like anything I’ve seen before and I can’t find anything like them in my fungi book(s). I’ve brought one home, in case I need to look for some specific characteristic, and I’m hoping that someone can point me in the right direction . . . . . “.

            People would at least know that you had made some sort of attempt – and might be more inclined to spend their own time trying to help you. ;)

            None of us are infallible, and I still sometimes make basic errors by not getting all the right info at site, or forgetting to take a sample home or whatever, (and, as a photographer, I find it very frustrating when I take what I think is a good photo – but I don’t know what species I’ve photographed :? ), but letting people know exactly what I have done to try to ID something, is the least I can do whenever I’m asking for help.

            Regards,

            Mike.

          Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.