I wondered if anyone can give some help with this Verrucaria found on the mortar of a churchyard boundary wall in a very damp shaded area among moss. I was considering Verrucaria romeana based on the following:
Black basal layer
Very squamulose overlapping nature of the aeroles
Size of spores – 22.5-27.5 um X 10-13 um
Well-developed involucrellum
Somewhere I have read that V romeana, when well developed, has those raised/blasidiate? edges that are present, but I can’t seem to find that information at the moment.
Any help much appreciated
Thank you
Sylvia
I was shown a thallus of V. romeanaV. macrostoma
It seems that the gold standard to differentiate the species is that in V. romeanaV. macrostoma
[attachment=2]PB030258a.jpg
[attachment=1]Verrucaria squam3929i.jpg
[attachment=0]Verrucaria macr4188h.jpg
It’s not easy, but hopefully this helps
Paul
My photos do look identical to your photo. But I will get sectioning and see if I can get some measurements for the epinecral layer or better still not find it much at all.
Thanks for your help.
Sylvia
I had to go back and get some more sample of the potential V romeana, hence the delay, and I have also found a thallus at another church, which seems to be a possible V romeana (keys out in LGBI3). I’ve attached photos below of the epinecral layer from both samples – both have epinecral layers that are at the thickest 9 micrometers and in many places absent. This seems to fit the bill for V romeana, rather than V. macrostoma.
Thanks,
Sylvia
