Possible Rust on Salix

Forums › Forums › Rusts, Smuts, and Mildews › Possible Rust on Salix

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #29514

    Not sure if Salix caprea – lots of hybrids! On roadside – leaves look bigger than what I assume to be S.caprea in scrub woodland but dimensions in Francis Rose fit.

    If this is a Rust possibly Melampsora caprearum? I think unlikely to be M.epitea. Another specimen drying for Nigel!

    4th photo lower USBx10, 3rd upper x10, 2nd lower x60, 1st upper x60 (haven’t got to grips with order of added photos!)

    #35172
    Lancashire Lad
    Moderator

      marksteer wrote:

      . . . (haven’t got to grips with order of added photos!)


      Hi Mark, see: – http://www.fungi.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=1225#p1225 ;)

      Regards,

      Mike.

      #35173
      adampembs
      Keymaster

        I don’t think this is a rust. Generally, I think you are looking for raised spots, or sometimes eruptions. Irregular spots like these are likely to be something else. It might be a rust but without sori, we cannot assume it is. Spotting can be caused by ascos, or even bacteria.

        I was looking at some irregular spots on ivy and came to conclusion it was most likely bacterial.

        #35174
        Lancashire Lad
        Moderator

          adampembs wrote:

          I don’t think this is a rust. . . .


          I’d agree Adam. It doesn’t seem to have the right characteristics (if my interpretation of Wilson & Henderson’s description of Melampsora is correct).

          Although, I’d be interested to see if anyone has any thoughts on what appear to be miniscule clumps of pale brown & white spheres in the affected area.

          Enlarged section from Mark’s photo:-

          Tiny Pale Brown and White Spheres.jpg

          [attachment=0]Tiny Pale Brown and White Spheres.jpg[/attachment]

          Regards,

          Mike.

          #35175

          Many thanks Adam and Mike. I wasn’t sure that this was a Rust! Possibly specimen was damaged in transit. Specimen for Nigel though. I’m waiting for copy of Dutch Rust Fungi book which I hope will help me.

        Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.