Possible resupinate such as Peniophora sp

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #31181

    These photographs were taken at Draycote Water near Rugby, Warwickshire earlier today. I was photographing what I assume is Daedaleopsis confragosa on a fallen branch – possibly Willow. In close proximity I noticed what appears to be the early stages of fungal growth amongst lichen on the branch. I am completely stabbing in the dark but wondered if this was a resupinate such as Peniophora quercina.

    Peniophora-sp(1).jpg

    [attachment=3]Peniophora-sp(1).jpg[/attachment]

    Peniophora-sp(2).jpg

    [attachment=2]Peniophora-sp(2).jpg[/attachment]

    Peniophora-sp(3).jpg

    [attachment=1]Peniophora-sp(3).jpg[/attachment]

    Daedaleopsis-confragosa.jpg

    [attachment=0]Daedaleopsis-confragosa.jpg[/attachment]

    #41694

    The bottom one – although one cannot see enough of the underside to be certain – looks to me like Daedalea quercina. As for the smaller brackets – very young Chondrostereum purpureum?

    regards

    Chris

    #41695

    Hello Chris,

    Thanks for your response and for correcting me regarding the Daedalea quercina – I certainly didn’t give the pores enough attention! I will keep an eye on the other fungus and watch it develop. If Chondrostereum purpureum starts to look unlikely no doubt I’ll be back in touch seeking more help. Thanks again.

    Regards,

    Bob

    #41696
    eltio
    Participant

      Am I missing something? I can’t see any other bracket fungi, only what looks like a Peltigera species.

      #41697

      I agree with eltio, the first three are Peltigera where the thallus has curled showing the rhizines.

      Chris

      #41698

      Hello Chris & Eltio,

      Thanks for your further thoughts. A Peltigera sp certainly does appear to be the correct identification and given the surrounding lichen something that I ought to have recognised in the field.

      Thank you for your help.

      Regards,

      Bob

      #41699

      I’m not at all convinced by the Peltigera theory. The habitat seems unlikely and those are totally unlike any rhizines I have ever seen. Those are hairs (in the mycological sense), far too thin and separated to be rhizines – this is what I would expect for the latter: https://www.flickr.com/photos/treebeard/24679852027” class=”bbcode_url”>https://www.flickr.com/photos/treebeard/24679852027

      It would be useful to examine a bit . . .

      Chris Y

      #41700

      Hi Chris,

      I took a further photograph yesterday monitoring the progress of growth. I’m not sure it shows anything new but it is a larger photo allowing “closer” examination. I’m not sure that I have sufficient knowledge to gain much from further examination other than if there is any simple observation that may be helpful.

      Possible-Peltigera-sp.jpg

      [attachment=0]Possible-Peltigera-sp.jpg[/attachment]
      Regards,

      Bob

      #41701

      Thanks for going to that trouble, Bob. I’m happy that it is probably isn’t my first suggestion, and am now seriously wondering about Auricularia mesenterica, young of course. If it is it should look more typical in a month or so . . . But it doesn’t say Peltigera to me at all.

      #41702

      Thanks Chris – I’ll continue to monitor its development.

      Bob

      #41703

      Hello,

      I’d stick to dried out Chondrostereum purpureum.

      For Auricularia mesenterica the fruitbodies are too thin i my opinion, and usually they grow larger when they are that old that they make “caps” and they are most often on naked wood rather than on lichen colonized bark.

      best regards,

      Andreas

      #41704

      Hello Andreas,

      Thanks for your thoughts. As I said to Chris I’ll continue to monitor the fungus. If there are any significant changes I’ll post further photographs.

      Regards,

      Bob

      #41705

      I’m happy to go with Andreas’ opinion – should have had more confidence in my initial thoughts . . .

      #41706

      Chris Yeates wrote:


      I’m not at all convinced by the Peltigera theory. The habitat seems unlikely and those are totally unlike any rhizines I have ever seen. Those are hairs (in the mycological sense), far too thin and separated to be rhizines – this is what I would expect for the latter: https://www.flickr.com/photos/treebeard/24679852027” class=”bbcode_url”>https://www.flickr.com/photos/treebeard/24679852027

      It would be useful to examine a bit . . .

      Chris Y

      Ok, fooled by that one. 😳

      Chris

      #41707

      By way of feedback to everyone that was kind enough to reply here is a further image of the fungus after the recent snow and frosts. It clearly, as suggested, is Chondrostereum purpureum. I believe this particular fungus can be “rejuvenated” by frosts although I can’t actually find any reference to that in a recent search.

      P1340561web.jpg

      [attachment=0]P1340561web.jpg[/attachment]

    Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.