Porina chlorotica?

Forums › Forums › Lichens › Porina chlorotica?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #32779
    SylviaD
    Participant

      Hi,

      Found this lichen literally outside my back door on a tall old Victorian chimney pot, so on clay. When I first saw it I thought – that looks like Porina aenea, but it’s on clay. The perithecia are small, no more than 0.3mm wide, on a very thin green thallus. All tests were negative. The spores were 3 septate, colourless and an average size of 17um X 4um. The asci seemed to have distinctive blunt ends. But as a beginner to this I’m often not sure totally what I’m looking at. The first section is in water and the rest are in K.

      It keyed out as Porina chlorotica in LGB&I. Would people say this is correct?

      Thank you

      SylviaD

      #45957
      Neil Sanderson
      Senior Moderator

        Sylvia

        Yes looks like the Porina chlorotica/Porina aenea group, but these are actually an unresolved species complex, with at least four separate clades detected on rock by sequencing! So expect quite a bit of variability but for the moment all we can do is split them by habitat, so yes Porina chlorotica

        Neil

        #45958
        SylviaD
        Participant

          Thank you Neil, that’s great

          Sylvia

        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.