Orange dusted pyncidia on Oak Bark, Buck’s Mills, Devon

Forums › Forums › Lichens › Orange dusted pyncidia on Oak Bark, Buck’s Mills, Devon

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #33079
    kianhaylescotton
    Participant

      Another lichen from my rainforest surveys in South West England. Found on dry side of oak bark at Buck’s Valley Woods. A lichen with an orange yellow thallus and small black conical pycnidia which are dusted orange with mucilage trail. Pyncidial pruina very weakly C+ red. Whole lichen strongly K+ carmine red. Thallus UV+ orange and pycnidia UV+ red. Originally thought Arthonia vinosa but then noticed the pyncidia which look similar to Anisomeridium but I cant see any that have pruina. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looks distinctive but can’t seen anything similar online or in my books.

      #46669
      Neil Sanderson
      Senior Moderator

        Stumped! The C+ and K+ red combination ought to be distinctive, but just can not think what that could be.

        Neil

        #46670
        Anonymous

          Coniocarpon cinnabarinum ? I think I see in a photograph (commercial C contains NaOH and reacts weakly like K).

          AG

          #46671
          kianhaylescotton
          Participant

            Hi Gerault,

            I think you’re right with that, it might be a very strong K reaction which is reacting with the small amount of K in my C mixture (Milton Sterilising Fluid).

            I went back to the site a few weeks ago and had a look for more of it. The chemical tests came up the same. The pycnidia “lichen” were abundant on a tree with a large amount of Alyxoria ochrolechia and are a similar colour to the pruina under UV. I wondered if it might be an odd form of Alyxoria ochrolechia with very few apothecia, abundant pycnidia and large quantities of pruina staining the thallus orange. The orange pycnidia patches do seem to grade into normal looking A. ochrolechia.

          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.