Odd mix of fungi

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #30520
    adampembs
    Keymaster

      Not really sure what I’m looking at here, but it looked interesting. There is a big black object (originally wood, I assume) that seems to be covered in a poroid fungus which has turned it black. I also see something that looks like Xylaria hypoxylon (but not quite right) and some orange dots that I only noticed from the photos later. Perhaps I’m on a hiding to nothing, but I thought it was interesting.

      #39570

      Bracket looks like an old Ganoderma australe. After a few years of senescence or when really close to soil and leaf mould they go really dark like this, from what I see dealing with urban trees and stumps.

      I remember reading something about a few fungi that degrade Ganoderma fruiting bodies, though I cannot rmember if it was a Xylaria or not.

      #39571
      eltio
      Participant

        The middle one might be Datriona mollis. THe Xylaria looks ok to me.

        #39572
        Lancashire Lad
        Moderator

          At first glance, before I’d read the text, I thought that the first photo showed something like Exidia plana that had fallen to the ground. 😳

          However, on reading your description, that it was hard and large, then I’d agree that it looks like a very old Ganoderma.

          I don’t think that that the middle one, (upturned), is Datronia mollis, as the pores aren’t showing any of the angular “mazegill” characteristic typical of that species.

          Whenever I’ve seen it, it has looked like this: –

          Common Mazegill - Datronia mollis.jpg

          [attachment=0]Common Mazegill – Datronia mollis.jpg[/attachment]

          I can only think that the tiny orangey-red spheres in that middle photo might be one of the Nectria species – or one of Nectria’s closely related species.

          (I.e. no idea whether it could be a possibility here, but Cosmospora coccinea is known to grow on rotting pores of polypores. – Although on checking the FRDBI, C.coccinea isn’t showing any British records).

          I agree that the third is Xylaria hypoxylon – I see it at almost every site I visit, and it regularly appears with these flattened “deer antler” type shapes.

          Regards,

          Mike.

          #39573

          Agree with Mike about it not being Datronia mollis.

          There is definitely a nectrioid fungus on that black Diatrype-looking fungus. It’s unlikely to be Cosmospora coccinea – which, incidentally is certainly British, FRDBI just places it in another genus: http://www.fieldmycology.net/GBCHKLST/gbsyns.asp?intGBNum=59892” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.fieldmycology.net/GBCHKLST/gbsyns.asp?intGBNum=59892.

          This would have been called Nectria episphaeria in the past, often without microscopy; however the situation is now known to be much more complex. With Nectria and its allies, one needs a minimum of spore size and ornamentation, but also a section of perithecium wall, and identification of any associated anamorph. Furthermore, in a significant number of cases one also needs to culture the fungus, and even to sequence it, in order to get a reliable name. “Cosmospora sp.” is a safe bet in this instance.

          #39574
          adampembs
          Keymaster

            Chris Yeates wrote:

            With Nectria and its allies, one needs a minimum of spore size and ornamentation, but also a section of perithecium wall, and identification of any associated anamorph. Furthermore, in a significant number of cases one also needs to culture the fungus, and even to sequence it, in order to get a reliable name. “Cosmospora sp.” is a safe bet in this instance.

            Yeah…. I think I’ll stick with Cosmospora sp. Awesome name btw!

            Thanks all.

          Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.