Nettle Rust Puccinia urticata

Forums › Forums › Rusts, Smuts, and Mildews › Nettle Rust Puccinia urticata

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #29443

    After looking at all the rusts and other minute fungus on here at last I found Nettle Rust and I have the stings to prove it. If I am wrong please advise, many thanks

    #34844
    Lancashire Lad
    Moderator

      Nice one Joan! ;)

      These things might only be tiny, but I think they are quite beautiful when seen in close-up.

      Most people will walk on by without ever knowing of the existence of such things – let alone seeing and appreciating them!

      PS: If you don’t already have one, I’d highly recommend getting a x10 hand lens.

      This Opticron one: – http://www.summerfieldbooks.com/led-hand-magnifier-%2810x26mm%29~2309” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.summerfieldbooks.com/led-hand-magnifier-%2810x26mm%29~2309, has a decent 10x magnification, 26mm diameter lens, and in-built LED lighting. I think it is pretty good for the price. (And it can be obtained from several suppliers).

      Armed with a hand lens, you can appreciate the intricate beauty of these things, along with slime moulds, other small fungi, and of course, flower parts, wherever you might find them.

      Regards,

      Mike.

      #34845

      yes, I agree, that’s a grand shot Joan – I have a macro disease that I try and get in really close, too close – its good, but not always necessary when this type of shot is just right. Lovely.

      ”Armed with a hand lens, you can appreciate the intricate beauty of these things, along with slime moulds, other small fungi, and of course, flower parts, wherever you might find them” not to mention Lichens and Bryophytes etc etc…….!! :D :D

      Cheers

      Ken

      #34846

      Beautiful photo! It’s a shame I’ve only found it at one site (Woods Mill), and no great specimens were near the path, the patch of nettles was inside the reed bed! This is the (poor) photo I got:

      DSCN2197 r.jpg

      [attachment=0]DSCN2197 r.jpg[/attachment]

      #34847

      Hi Jimmy, if it helps – its on stem, shoots and leaves (book title there?) not necessarily just one part, so look on all the plant – and its one of those tinkers, when you get your eye in, its everywhere……. :)

      Cheers

      Ken

      #34848

      Quote:

      when you get your eye in, it’s everywhere……. :)


      I know! I had barely heard of it before, but when I started looking, it was right in front of me! :D

      #34849

      jimmymac2 wrote:

      . . . . This is the (poor) photo I got:


      Nothing wrong with the photo to my eyes . . .

      Chris

      #34850

      But it’s not as good as Joan’s!! :D :P

      #34851
      adampembs
      Keymaster

        jimmymac2 wrote:

        Beautiful photo! It’s a shame I’ve only found it at one site (Woods Mill), and no great specimens were near the path, the patch of nettles was inside the reed bed! This is the (poor) photo I got:
        [attachment=0]DSCN2197 r.jpg[/attachment]


        If you think this is a bad photo, you make me feel bad! Its better than mine 😥

        #34852

        Oh, sorry….! 😮 😯 😳

        I’m sure it isn’t that bad!

        #34853

        I have a bridge camera for sale – Panasonic FZ45 if you’re interested Jimmy……………

        #34854

        What are you all talking about, every photo is good if it shows the subject for others to either confirm their shots or know it if they see it next time. I have looked at your photo Jimmy and it looks a good one to me.

        I was delighted to find it and will look all over the plants next time I go, having armed myself with gloves that is, great to get so much info from here and many thanks Mike I will get myself on of those little magnifiers, not too sure I will be sticking my head into that bed of stinging nettles though!

        Gracie

        #34855

        diggleken wrote:

        I have a bridge camera for sale – Panasonic FZ45 if you’re interested Jimmy……………


        How much?? ;)

        This is what I have now…

        Nikon_Coolpix_AW100_35004495_10_610x436.jpg

        [attachment=0]Nikon_Coolpix_AW100_35004495_10_610x436.jpg[/attachment]

        #34856

        Hi Jimmy,

        Not much idea, so did a look online, amazon 2nd hand starts at £99 plus p&p, so not that but something approaching that perhaps?

        I also have Kood stepping rings for it to solidly fit a Raynox macro on the front and a polarising ring – thrown in too……….

        You’ll have to get the Raynox separately – but its a cracker for macro work with fungi and insects.

        PM me, if there is that facility on here ? Ddelivery, howto pay etc we can do that way, if you want to take it on of course, no pressure.

        Its in good condition, had a lot of action, but still works well, nothing wrong with it, optics are still very good nick .

        Cheers

        Ken

        #34857
        Lancashire Lad
        Moderator

          Looks like its going to be a very good year for P.urticata.

          I’m finding large numbers of, and some very large examples too, at the moment, wherever there is any amount of nettles present.

          I decided to photograph this somewhat smaller outbreak though, as it was in prime condition. ;)

          Click on image to view at full size.

          Puccinia urticata - Nettle Clustercup Rust.jpg

          [attachment=0]Puccinia urticata – Nettle Clustercup Rust.jpg[/attachment]Puccinia urticata – Nettle Clustercup Rust, Aecidial Stage.

          Regards,

          Mike.

        Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.