Mystery twig lichen – possible Lecidea erythrophaea?

Forums › Forums › Lichens › Mystery twig lichen – possible Lecidea erythrophaea?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #33169
    SylviaD
    Participant

      Hi,

      I found this lichen was found on a Birch twig on Iping Common. The tiny apothecia (0.1-0.3mm) range from pink to brown with a bit of a piebald appearance on some. The thallus was cream and varied in thickness, with cracking where it was at its thickest. It had a black prothallus.

      The spores are simple with oil globules – two in younger spores, but one large one in the larger mature spores.

      Initially I thought that it was Japewiella tavaresiana, but the spores are much too small. The section showed a range of ascus in development and the maximum size range for the spores which had either been released or where very obviously the most mature was 10-12.5 X 3.75 -5 um – nothing above this size range.

      So working through the Lecidea key in LGBI3 I came to Lecidea erythrophaea, which has spores in the range (8-)9-14 (-18) x 3-4.5 um.

      I also found the thread on here with JennyS’s specimen on a potential J. tavarensiana that also had spores way too small, which seemed very similar and was a possible Lecidea erythrophaea.

      Anyway – is this a good candidate for L. erythrophaea? Or is there something else I could consider.

      Thank you

      Sylvia

      #46935
      Neil Sanderson
      Senior Moderator

        Lecidea erythrophaea has dark reddish to black apothecia when I have found it, these are too pale and the thallus is not white enough. That looks a lot more like Xanthosyne varians subsp. exigua (was Traponora varians), which I have started finding in the New Forest see https://britishlichensociety.org.uk/resources/species-accounts/traponora-varians” class=”bbcode_url”>https://britishlichensociety.org.uk/resources/species-accounts/traponora-varians. The thallus is likely to be UV+ pinkish-orange, KC+ orange and K/UV(wet)+ bright yellow-green. Lecidea erythrophaea has no reactions and the latter reaction in particular would be a killer for Lecidea erythrophaea.

        I was planning a post about what I have been finding on twigs in the New Forest, as a lot has turned up since I started looking for Lecanora pseudargentata (including the real Japewiella tavaresiana, so look out for that too)

        Neil

        #46936
        SylviaD
        Participant

          Thanks Neil,

          Just done the tests and indeed it is UV orange/pink, K/UV wet bright yellow/green, and KC orange – fantastic – so Traponora varians has hopped over the border from Hampshire to Sussex.

          One trip to Iping Common has now yielded Hypotrachyna lividescens and Traponora varians – more trips are definitely needed.

          Cheers,

          Sylvia

          #46937
          Neil Sanderson
          Senior Moderator

            Sylvia

            Great find! Definately seems to be on the move after being only known from the lower Tamar Valley for several decades!

            Neil

          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.