Lichenicolous fungi on Diploicia canescens

Forums › Forums › Lichens › Lichenicolous fungi on Diploicia canescens

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #33180
    SylviaD
    Participant

      Hi,

      I’ve collected a sample of a Diploicia canescens on the wall of a church (Winchelsea, Sussex) that has a lichenicolous fungi on it. It’s appearance on the thallus is very similar to that of Arthonia diploiciae (from photos), however it has 8 spores per ascus rather than 4. It’s features are as follows:

      Appearance on thallus: black apothecia on the thallus that are greyish due to pruina

      Ascus: 8 spores

      Spores: 1-septate, clavate, 10-15 x 3-4 um (but perispore around 1um)

      The closest I get with the Arthoniaceae key is Arthonia diploiciae, but obviously wrong number of spores per ascus. Any suggestions as to ID or where I could go from here for an ID?

      Thanks

      Sylvia

      #46960
      Neil Sanderson
      Senior Moderator

        Sylvia

        The l’Association française de Lichénologie website gives Arthonia diploiciae as “Asques octosporés” i.e. Asci eight-spored https://www.afl-lichenologie.fr/Photos_AFL/Photos_AFL_A/Textes_A3/Arthonia_diploiciae.htm” class=”bbcode_url”>https://www.afl-lichenologie.fr/Photos_AFL/Photos_AFL_A/Textes_A3/Arthonia_diploiciae.htm. Everyone else says 4 spored. I would assume your collection is just an anomalous Arthonia diploiciae specimen. Best to record it as this species but note that it was eight spored, so that, if it ever proves to be significant, and it is a different taxa, it can be corrected.

        Neil

        #46961
        SylviaD
        Participant

          Thanks Neil – will do

          Best wishes,

          Sylvia

        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.