Lecanora subfusca group query

Forums › Forums › Lichens › Lecanora subfusca group query

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #33041

    I picked up a twig on a path in the Wye Valley woodlands (relatively unpolluted for Gloucestershire) with a clean and tidy looking Lecanora which I thought would be argentata, which is not uncommon in the county, or just maybe horiza. However,checking under the microscope it was immediately obvious that there was a good layer of crystals on the epithecium which appeared not to be descending into the hymenium, as well as a few big crystals in the margin. Lecanora chlarotera s. str. would be great – a county first as far as I am concerned because everything I have checked equates to hybocarpa. The crystals dissolve in K, but unfortunately they don’t seem to dissolve in Nitric Acid (I’ve been quite patient!)

    K+ yellow, Pd- (or very very weakly yellow), C-, UV maybe dull orange.

    I’d appreciate some guidance, please.

    #46587
    Neil Sanderson
    Senior Moderator

      Nice find, looks good for Lecanora chlarotera s. str. Interesting that it was found in a relatively clean area, which confirms my impressions that it is a lot more sensitive to ammonia than Lecanora hybocarpa. Also does not look like my New Forest Lecanora chlarotera s. str. with thin blueish pruina and a greyish thallus, that seems to be something else according to sequencing. The crystals dissolving in N is best seen by leaving it overnight. I think it was first spotted by researchers going back to look at fixed slides set in an acidic medium after some months!

      Neil

      #46588

      Struth! In nitric acid overnight to dissolve the crystals! OK, I’ll try it.

      I’m so pleased that you think it looks good for L chlarotera s. str, though. Thanks.

      Juliet

    Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.