I found a large spread of this very fertile lichen low down on a very old Ash. It keyed out as Coppinsiella ulcerosa, but I’ve never knowingly seen that and after looking at the recent C ulcerosa thread, I wanted to check.
Thallus: grey/white, K-
Soredia: pale yellow, mostly dispersed across the thallus and not confluent, K-
Apothecia: dark orange (the colour in the photos I think makes them look slightly lighter than they actually were), slightly lighter margin. K purple
Spores: 10-12.5 x 5-7.5, with the septum 1/2 to 1/3 of the spore
Thank you
Sylvia
What I can see of the soralia look more like those of Caloplaca alstrupiiFlavoplaca
Neil
That’s really interesting. I have a reasonable sample so I’ll do a bit more microscopy and see where that gets me.
Sylvia
Caloplaca alstrupii
[attachment=5]2026-05-13-01.jpg
Apothecia with a crateriform soralia with green soredia to the right. (A stacked picture, manual focus with stacking using HeliconForcus; my new toy!)
[attachment=4]2026-05-13-03.jpg
Apothecium section in water.
[attachment=3]2026-05-13-04.jpg
Apothecium squash in K with spores
[attachment=2]2026-05-13-05.jpg
[attachment=1]2026-05-13-06.jpg
[attachment=0]2026-05-13-08.jpg
Spores in K, quite varied in shape and 9 – 11 x 6 – 8 µm with the septa just about half the length of the spore.
Caloplaca alstrupiiCoppinsiella ulcerosa
I have some older Coppinsiella ulcerosa
Neil
Caloplaca ulcerosaCaloplaca alstrupii
I do have photo of Coppinsiella ulcerosa
[attachment=0]2019-05-16-11.jpg
Coppinsiella ulcerosa
This does look very like your specimen and one thing visible on both is a thin, soon excluded thaline margin. Caloplaca alstrupiiCoppinsiella ulcerosa
All the best
Neil
Best wishes,
Sylvia
