ID please beginner

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #31540

    My first mushroom hunt today in a wet forest in Westmeath Ireland. All of these were found near trees (pine I think) in the ground with lots of wood chippings moss etc. First image were very dark brown-black caps as you can see. I went around the whole forest and only found these once however left them there as I haven’t seen them before even online. the last images some come across as brown however when I first spotted them they were a bright mauve-purple colour on the cap and stem. White gills. No red latex. Some are babies I think. Haven’t checked spore print yet. I think they are Mycena pura? However I am totally new to this so I’m full of doubt when identifying still! Any help greatly appreciated.

    #42643
    Lancashire Lad
    Moderator

      Hi, and welcome to UK Fungi.

      ( I have deleted your other post as it was basically a repeat of the first).

      Your original post was not visible to you at the time, because, being a new member, it required admin approval.

      The first are Collybia butyracea (Buttercap).

      The others do have the looks of Mycena pura.

      Regards,

      Mike.

      #42644

      Thank you so much!! sorry if my questions are very obvious I’ve never picked before😂😂

      #42645
      Lancashire Lad
      Moderator

        2222222222pauline wrote:

        . . . sorry if my questions are very obvious . . . . .


        No need to apologise for asking questions. – We all started as beginners, all of us will have asked many similar questions at some time or other, and all of us will have (and in my case still do!) make some obvious mistakes when identifying things. – Obvious that is, once you have actually found out what the species in question really is!!!

        For future reference, if you have an ongoing interest in the subject, please take a moment to read http://www.fungi.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49 HELP US TO HELP YOU TO IDENTIFY YOUR FINDS.

        We appreciate that you might not always be able to obtain all the necessary information, but the more details you can provide, the better chance you will have of confident identification suggestions.

        Also, as a general reminder to all those website viewers who might be looking in, please do take note of the forum rules highlighted in red at the head of the webpage.

        In particular, that this forum, (which is primarily conservation oriented), does not promote foraging or discuss potential edibility, or indeed potential narcotic uses of fungi.

        Regards,

        Mike.

        #42646
        Flaxton
        Participant

          Another comment. Your photos suggest you were worried about touching your finds. You cannot absorb any poison from touching so no need for the gloves in future.

        Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.