Hygrocybe/Hygrophorus

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #30550
    Flaxton
    Participant

      Out looking for the Scarlet Elf Cap (which I found) and I came across a small group of these white/ivory fungi growing under the canopy of a couple of taxus in the middle of a mixed woodland.

      Slightly greasy cap and no smell. Is it likely to be Hygrocye virginea (Cuphophyllus virgineus) just in the wrong place or one of the Hygrophorus sp. very few of which are mycorrhizal with conifer and non that I can see with Taxus?

      P1071527a.jpg

      [attachment=0]P1071527a.jpg[/attachment]

      Thanks

      Mal

      #39692
      Flaxton
      Participant

        The Sarcoscypha is immature so I can’t even put a name to that yet.

        P1071518a.jpg

        [attachment=0]P1071518a.jpg[/attachment]

        Mal

        #39693

        Flaxton wrote:

        Out looking for the Scarlet Elf Cap (which I found) and I came across a small group of these white/ivory fungi growing under the canopy of a couple of taxus in the middle of a mixed woodland.

        Slightly greasy cap and no smell. Is it likely to be Hygrocye virginea (Cuphophyllus virgineus) just in the wrong place or one of the Hygrophorus sp. very few of which are mycorrhizal with conifer and non that I can see with Taxus?

        P1071527a.jpg

        Thanks

        Mal


        It does say in Boertmann’s book on Hygrocybe that they occur in all types of unimproved grassland,scrubs,road verges and occasionally in deciduous or coniferous woodland I used to find a couple each year in a grass at the edge of a Norway spruce (Picea abies) and Sikka spruce (Picea sitchensis) area hope this is useful.

        Sheila

      Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.