Fungus on rope!

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #30897

    Cap to 1.3cm, stem eccentric to about 5mm x 1mm thicker at top brown. I think this is Deconica (Melanotus) horizontalis Wood (Fender) Oysterling. Up to 1980’s considered uncommon in UK but now common. Occurs mainly on felled or worked coniferous timber – common on felled Larch in Glamorgan. Also found on doormats!

    #40789

    Not sure why but photo doesn’t seem to show so will try again

    #40790

    Not sure why but photo doesn’t seem to show so will try again

    #40791

    Hi Mark

    Just looking at the photo I immediately thought of the old “Melanotus textilis” and having read the full thread see you have arrived at the same conclusion. With the usual microscopy proviso I see no reason to think otherwise:

    http://www.basidiochecklist.info/DisplayResults.asp?intGBNum=5212” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.basidiochecklist.info/DisplayResults.asp?intGBNum=5212

    Chris

    #40792

    Thanks Chris. It seems to be very variable – photos from Larch looked very different but were checked microscopically.

    Have you managed to open link to Ginkgo leaf fungus GFG fb? Mark Evans is doing further work on this and Brian Douglas may get involved. Specimens from different locations seem to have similar black pustules.

    Mark

    #40793

    Hi Mark

    For various reasons I don’t do Facebook.

    Chris

    #40794

    Hi Chris,

    fb – I sometimes wish I didn’t but it has proved very useful for our Group. If OK to give Mark Evans your email maybe he can send you info on what he is finding?

    Mark

    #40795

    Absolutely no problem Mark :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.