Fungus on grass stem

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #30722

    Yesterday I came across this microfungus on a grass stem in my garden. It appeared to have killed the end of the grass stem, although the rest still seemed very healthy. There was a yellow band separating the dead bit and the healthy green bit. If anyone knows what this could be then that would be great!

    Thanks, James

    #40239

    jimmymac2 wrote:


    Yesterday I came across this microfungus on a grass stem in my garden. It appeared to have killed the end of the grass stem, although the rest still seemed very healthy. There was a yellow band separating the dead bit and the healthy green bit. If anyone knows what this could be then that would be great!

    Thanks, James


    Hi James

    there are far too many things that cause black spots on leaves and stems to merit even the guess of a name. You have to do the microscopy with these fellows.

    regards

    Chris

    PS it also helps to know the exact host

    #40240

    Hi Chris,

    Thanks for your response. What sort of microscopy is necessary? I will try and work out the exact host tomorrow. Grass ID is something I’ve been really working on recently although I’ve barely made any progress and I really am helpless at it!

    James

    #40241

    jimmymac2 wrote:


    Hi Chris,

    Thanks for your response. What sort of microscopy is necessary? I will try and work out the exact host tomorrow. Grass ID is something I’ve been really working on recently although I’ve barely made any progress and I really am helpless at it!

    James


    Don’t worry too much about which grass it is. A gentle squash (in water) of as small a piece of a ‘black bit’ as possible would be a good start (i.e. as little plant tissue as possible. Sharp forceps can be useful in these cases – something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-Forceps-Surgical-Dental-Eye-Jewelry-15-cm-Forcep-Sharp-GOLD-/161463344544?epid=854509416&hash=item2597f71da0:g:N-EAAOSwZkJUTMzF” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-Forceps-Surgical-Dental-Eye-Jewelry-15-cm-Forcep-Sharp-GOLD-/161463344544?epid=854509416&hash=item2597f71da0:g:N-EAAOSwZkJUTMzF.

    Another technique would be to wet the stem and then remove a “black bit” with a sharp needle and mount on a drop of water on the microscope slide, leave for a few minutes then pop on cover slip and gently squash.

    #40242

    Hi Chris

    I have tried to mount a bit of the black stuff on a slide. What should I be looking out for?

    #40243

    Here are some further images.

    #40244

    That’s not a bad effort at all. Unfortunately this looks to be a little too young – no spores or conidia being formed yet. A possibility (and I stress only a possibility) would be Phyllachora graminis : http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?search=Phyllachora+graminis” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?search=Phyllachora+graminis

    best wishes

    Chris

    #40245

    Ah I see, I’ll keep a look out on nearby grasses to see if they develop the same fungus. Perhaps I might find one that’s mature!

    Thanks a lot, James

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.