Fungus on Ginkgo biloba leaves

Forums › Forums › Fungi on miscellaneous substrates (not soil or wood) › Fungus on Ginkgo biloba leaves

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #30882

    Bartheletia paradoxa has only 34 records on FRDBI 1 (17 south and west Wales) but seems to be present wherever G.biloba is found. January 2018 search in Glamorgan has produced nearly 20 finds including in the car park at National Museum of Wales Cardiff. 18 trees there all had the fungus – photos attached from there. 2nd is USBx20. Other locations found include Bute and Roath Parks, St. Fagans, Insole Court and Llandaff Cathedral plus .

    #40719

    Might the second image be of something else? Doesn’t quite look right for anamophic Bartheletia paradoxa . . . has it been checked microscopically?

    Cheers

    Chris

    #40720

    Hi Chris, Thanks your comment. I have collected fresh leaf specimens from the same location and one of our Group will attempt some microscope work. Do you have any thoughts on other fungi that maybe present on G.biloba leaves? E&E does not cover this ‘host’ and there doesn’t seem to be much on the internet. I have a copy of the Czech Mycology 68(!) pp79-84 paper on B.paradoxa.

    Mark

    #40721

    marksteer wrote:


    Hi Chris, Thanks your comment. I have collected fresh leaf specimens from the same location and one of our Group will attempt some microscope work. Do you have any thoughts on other fungi that maybe present on G.biloba leaves? E&E does not cover this ‘host’ and there doesn’t seem to be much on the internet. I have a copy of the Czech Mycology 68(!) pp79-84 paper on B.paradoxa.

    Mark


    Hi Mark

    here is some stuff I have gathered together f.y.i. I’m not sure whether I have your email address? If you PM me it (treated in confidence by me of course) I can send you one or two fuller papers which may be of interest including the paper redescribing Bartheletia in Mycological Research (and including a new polypore on Ginkgo from China – not your fungus I suspect!).

    Best wishes

    Chris

    Gingko01.jpg

    [attachment=5]Gingko01.jpg[/attachment]

    Gingko02.jpg

    [attachment=4]Gingko02.jpg[/attachment]

    Gingko03.jpg

    [attachment=3]Gingko03.jpg[/attachment]

    Gingko03a.jpg

    [attachment=2]Gingko03a.jpg[/attachment]

    Gingko04.jpg

    [attachment=1]Gingko04.jpg[/attachment]

    Gingko05.jpg

    [attachment=0]Gingko05.jpg[/attachment]

    #40722

    Hi Chris, Many thanks! Please email to : glamorganfungi@gmail.com (published email address). I’m having problems copying items above so if not too much trouble would you please repeat in email.

    Mark

    #40723

    No worries Mark.

    #40724

    Thanks Chris email received and articles copy ok.

    Mark

    #40725

    I maybe able to access Mycological Research papers through my BMS subscription if you can send me references.

    Mark

    #40726

    Hi Chris, Thanks your comment. I have collected fresh leaf specimens from the same location and one of our Group will attempt some microscope work. Do you have any thoughts on other fungi that maybe present on G.biloba leaves? E&E does not cover this ‘host’ and there doesn’t seem to be much on the internet. I have a copy of the Czech Mycology 68(!) pp79-84 paper on B.paradoxa.

    Mark

    #40727

    Mark, did you ever manage to identify the fungus in your second photo? I’ve just found similar lines of fungal growth between the veins of some Ginkgo biloba leaves. Certainly not what I associate with Bartheletia paradoxa. Under the dissecting scope I expect Bartheletia to show as black dots on a brown leaf spot.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.