Fungus on a Spider

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #30326

    USBx20 Pen Pych 10sept2016 7.jpg

    [attachment=1]USBx20 Pen Pych 10sept2016 7.jpg[/attachment]

    USBx20 Pen Pych 10sept2016 8.jpg

    [attachment=0]USBx20 Pen Pych 10sept2016 8.jpg[/attachment]Find on recent Glamorgan Fungus Group Foray by Rob Nottage. On underside of Quercus robor leaf about 3mm high and width. Initial thoughts were ‘it’s fungal’ but no one had any real ideas except on insect or…? Comments via BMS Facebook page we had suggestion possibly Gibellula species. Contact with Harry Evans CABI confirmed possibility but… Specimen examined by Harry and he advised Hymenostilbe cf. arachnophila. Paul Kirk comments that naming of this genus is up for debate. At this point I retire to Rust Fungi on which I am no expert! Photos USBx20 apologies not so good.

    #38796

    marksteer wrote:

    . . . Paul Kirk comments that naming of this genus is up for debate. At this point I retire to Rust Fungi on which I am no expert! . . .


    That’s fair enough, generic positions are always going to be malleable/matters of opinion to some degree. Perhaps the find will be sequenced at some stage – we are far behind many countries in this respect, sadly.

    Chris

    #38797

    We found one a couple of weeks ago on a spider too.

    We guessed it was Gibellula pulchra on macro characters but haven’t looked into it too deeply.

    Cheers,

    John

    #38798

    From discussions with Harry Evans probably best to have expert to look at it microscopically. I’m out of my depth with these!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.