fungal pompoms

Forums › Forums › Lichens › fungal pompoms

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #32995

    Does anyone know what these pompoms are? Just a bit of fun, but I don’t recall seeing them before.

    I don’t think they are lichen, but maybe other lichenologists are familiar with them.

    They were on a veteran oak base in or beneath a lichen that I haven’t been able to identify, being just a dirty greasy looking C- K- thin white crust which scratches green. I was investigating some of the dark marks, hoping to get an Arthonia or at least something recognisable.

    #46492

    Perhaps the lichenicolous Psammina filamentosa or similar?

    https://www.dorsetnature.co.uk/pages-lichen/lch-632.html

    (identification subsequently confirmed by David Hawksworth but I haven’t got round to updating it)

    #46493
    maxieput901
    Participant

      I couldn’t make out any septation so was wondering if you could have Psammina simplex or P. stipitata. There’s a key in the paper in the Lichenologist vol.52(5) pp 337-343 and another paper in the Lichenologist vol. 31(6) pp 579-586

      #46494

      Brilliant, thanks ladies. I’m sure you’re right about it being a Psammina. I had, of course, binned the slide, and have just spent the last hour fruitlessly cutting at the specimen to try to find more.

      I cannot see any septation in my photos. I followed the key as you suggested, Maxine, which got me fairly securely to Psammina simplex, though I really wish I had more material to recheck. Put it down to experience.

    Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.