Exploding puff sack – help ID this please

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #31984

    Hi all – this exploded in my face while I was sweeping up leaves today. It plumed out a fine brown powder / dust. It was like a puff sack with a root that was growing out of the (soil-based) edging of my patio behind a big pot.

    I’ve tried to Google it but to no avail. Does anyone know what it is?

    I’m keen to ID it as I may have breathed some in… should I be concerned?

    Any advice or thoughts welcome! Thank you in advance.

    Rachel

    #43861
    Lancashire Lad
    Moderator

      Hi, and welcome to UK Fungi.

      It looks like the remains of an old “puffball” type fungus – possibly one of the Lycoperdon species.

      Puffballs are common throughout the UK and release their spores either through an apical hole at the top of the mature fruitbody, or when something damages the outer “skin” of the fruitbody in some way.

      The brown dust you mention would be a cloud of spores released when you moved/damaged the decaying dry fruitbody.

      As a “one-off” type of occasion, I wouldn’t be too concerned over the possibility of having breathed some spores in. – There are spores floating about everywhere, and in our normal everyday lives we will all be breathing in several hundred spores (and a million and one other “invisible” microscopic things) during the course of a day.

      Generally speaking, our respiratory system does a remarkable job in filtering out these everyday impurities before they can do us much harm.

      Regards,

      Mike.

      #43862
      Flaxton
      Participant

        Probably Scleroderma verrucosum

        #43863

        Flaxton wrote:


        Probably Scleroderma verrucosum

        Perhaps, but I’ve seen S. areolatum in gardens as well – always need to check spores under the microscope to be certain.

        #43864
        Flaxton
        Participant

          It could be Chris but it looks to have the substantial stem more in keeping with verucosum.

          Mal

        Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.