I need some help with what I thought was Dendrographa decolorans. I’ve found a large Oak in an arable field, so probably quite a bit of N enrichment, that looked like it was covered on its south side with a sorediate lichen that had a lilac/grey/light brown hue to it. On closer inspection it scratched orange/yellow and tested K negative and C negative (although on really close inspection there was a slight colouring yellow the same colour as if scratched). So far so good, but then I noticed what looked like apothecia. I have attached photos most of the apothecia are heavily pruinose but some were black where the pruinate (?) had rubbed off. As you can see from the photos most are inset into the thallus. Is this likely to be D decolorans but with apothecia, or is it something else? I have taken a sample.
Thank you for your help,
Sylvia
The thallus certainly looks like Dendrographa decolorans
Neil
I think that these apothecia are developed on a highly sorediate thallus of Dendrographa decoloransDendrographa decolorans
Neil
That’s really interesting. The thallus was very well developed on rough bark. I have taken a sample so will sort out looking at the spores. It rather threw me seeing apothecia as I understood they are rare.
Thanks for your help,
Sylvia
I did also think Pachnolepia pruinataPachnolepia pruinataPachnolepia pruinata
Neil
I’ve just got a microscope and so was able to do a section of the possible Dendrographa decolorans apothecia. I’m not yet set up for photography so this is a terrible photograph, but it definitely looked like a spore, but am I right in thinking that this is a D decolorans spore – curved and 3-septate. This one was about 35um long. There were a few what I thought were mature asci with long spores curved coiled around each other, but very few loose no matter how much I squashed and mounted in K. I’ve not tried staining yet and plan to do that.
Thank you
Sylvia
Welcome to microscopy! Yes that seems to a Dendrographa decolorans
Have fun
Neil
