CladoniaPinusCladonia ramulosa morphcladomorphaphyllophora
AG
How yellow is the reaction? I looks quite brownish to me. Potentially the K+ brownish reaction to fumarprotocetraric acid; this is often weak and is clearest when there is a lot of fumarprotocetraric acid in the lichen. As it is inconsistent it tends not to be mentioned in descriptions, although American Cladonia
Neil
Juliet
. . . RBG Edinburgh produced a cheapish one for fungal spore prints, but I don’t think it is available any more. . .
Hi,
Just browsing the site and happened to spot your comment.
The spore colour chart you mention, (originally published in 1969), is actually still in print. – Available from several outlets (NHBS, Summerfield Books, etc.).
The full title of the chart is: – “Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh – Flora of British Fungi – Colour Identification Chart”.
Price £2.50 plus postage.
Regards,
Mike.
[attachment=0]Screenshot 2023-12-07 11.01.52 AM.png
Every specimen I have examined (including herbarium specimens) are, to my perception, a shade of green. The following is from a twitter thread in which I discuss the subtleties of P. oleagina.
[attachment=1]Eqher-vW4AM2OSi.png
Here is a link to the twitter thread (which includes the ‘K+ oily’ reaction, my own description of the thallus and notes on etymology and ecology of this interesting species).
Here is a link to the List of RAL colours that I have used.
[attachment=2]Screenshot 2023-12-07 11.35.51 AM.png
Perhaps L. orosthea is close to ‘Kiwi Sorbet Green’ on the RAL list?
[attachment=1]Screenshot 2023-12-07 11.47.31 AM.png
Whatever colour L. orosthea is, it is one of the dominant species on Stonehenge, giving the uprights a pastel shade.
[attachment=0]Screenshot 2023-12-07 12.00.22 PM.png
Twitter thread about Lecanora orosthea:
I agree, usnic acid colours are a bit difficult to describe in words. Pale grey-green with the merest hint of yellow is resaonable!
Using a colour picker in Photoshop Elements I got a Color Hex of #706b55 for an avaerage section of a Protoparmelia oleagina photograph, for what it is worth
[attachment=0]Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 20.46.40.png
Neil
Gerrault
How yellow is the reaction? I looks quite brownish to me. Potentially the K+ brownish reaction to fumarprotocetraric acid; this is often weak and is clearest when there is a lot of fumarprotocetraric acid in the lichen. As it is inconsistent it tends not to be mentioned in descriptions, although American Cladonia
Neil
Apropos of Neil’s comment above about a K+ brownish reaction to fumarprotocetraric acid, I believe I may have observed it on a Cladonia furcata
[attachment=1]20240121-P1211315.jpg
Cladonia furcataC. furcata
[attachment=3]20240204-P2040014.jpg
[attachment=2]20240204-P2040016.jpg
[attachment=1]20240204-P2040017.jpg
An interesting note: where Pd overlapped K, the brown reaction became yellow. I wonder what Pd+ yellow compound results from the decomposition of fumarprotocetraric acid in K?
Another interesting note: a Google search on the K+ brown reaction for fumarprotocetraric acid turned up this 1935 article by American lichenologist RH Torrey entitled ‘Paraphenylenediamine: A new colour test for lichens’: https://www.jstor.org/stable/40597010https://www.jstor.org/stable/40597010
It appears from Torrey’s article that, until Pd came along, some lichenologists relied on the K+ brown reaction for fumarprotocetraric acid to help separate CladoniaCladonia
[attachment=0]Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 22.43.30.png
Torrey suggests that the K+ brown reaction is also detailed in what he calls Annie Lorrain Smith’s ‘Manual of British Lichens’. That’s not a title of Smith’s of which I’m aware. So far as I know, Smith published a field guide entitled A Handbook of the British LichensA Monograph of the British LichensLichens
In none of those works by Smith could I find any reference to K+ brown for fumarprotocetraric acid. She mentions only K+ yellow for atranorin in her descriptions of CladoniaKryptogammenflora für Anfänger, Band 3: Die Flechten
That isn’t to say the K+ brown reaction isn’t found in any British work: it’s mentioned in in Orange, Smith & James’s 2010 monograph Microchemical MethodsUsnea antarcticahttps://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/33451352.pdfhttps://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/33451352.pdfU. antarctica
But anyway: assuming that there isn’t a ‘Manual of British Lichens’ by Annie Lorrain Smith of which I’m unaware, the K+ brown reaction for fumarprotocetraric acid on which Torrey and other (presumably mainly North American) lichenologists relied doesn’t seem to have been much used by British lichenologists before being obviated by the more effective Pd+ red.
Alain
C. furcata
[list]
[list]
[list]
[list]
[list]
i.e.[list]
[list]
[list]
I certainly agree we must certainly interpret any new colour spot-test reactions carefully — though given North American practice, K+ brown for fumarprotocetraric acid isn’t really a new spot-test. And in this case it seems hard not to conclude that my Scottish C. furcata
