Cladonia rangiformis var. sorediophora

Forums › Forums › Lichens › Cladonia rangiformis var. sorediophora

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #32960

    Hello, I came across this Cladonia lying loose on the ground at Weeting Heath NNR in Norfolk yesterday. I wondered if it might be Cladonia rangiformis var. sorediophora. K+ yellow, Pd-. I couldn’t find any images of this var. so not much to compare it with! C. rangiformis is common on the site.

    #46407
    Anonymous
      #46408

      Thanks, that looks promising!

      #46409
      Neil Sanderson
      Senior Moderator

        Rob

        That is weird, does it have any intact cortex? Gerault’s pictures do have an intact cortex, which does look very Cladonia rangiformis. The Mediterranean Cladonia flora does mention Cladonia rangiformis var. sorediophora, but states it has no phylogenetic significance (that does not mean it it still not worth recording). I have never seen even the more restrained material shown on the lichensmaritimes.org site. If your material has some intact cortex similar to that of Cladonia rangiformis, then it is likely to be this. Not sure what else it could be.

        Neil

        #46410

        Hi Neil,

        there is a cortex of sorts (see photo), but it doesn’t look especially like the giraffe skin of C. rangiformis. What do you think?

        Rob

        #46411
        Neil Sanderson
        Senior Moderator

          Missed that photo; not much cortex left, so not much got further there. The only other possibility from the habitat, would be Cladonia furcata subsp. subrangiformis (basically a morph of Cladonia furcata found on calcareous soils with the podetia distorted by large calcium oxalate crystals) with sorelia I suppose, but this would not be densely branched.

          Yesterday I got some sorediate Cladonia furcata on the New Forest:

          2025-01-31-05.JPG

          [attachment=0]2025-01-31-05.JPG[/attachment]
          This does not look much like yours so Cladonia rangiformis seems most likely

          PS the mushroom Arrhenia peltigerina parasitising Peltigera hymenina is popping up widely in the New Forest now; appears to be having a good year, so worth looking out for spreads of dead Peltigera hymenina with the Arrhenia peltigerina fruiting bodies associated see https://britishlichensociety.org.uk/resources/species-accounts/arrhenia-peltigerina” class=”bbcode_url”>https://britishlichensociety.org.uk/resources/species-accounts/arrhenia-peltigerina.

          Neil

        Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.