Cladonia mitis from lowland heath?

Forums › Forums › Lichens › Cladonia mitis from lowland heath?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #33074
    aspeca
    Participant

      Following on my post yesterday about potential Cladonia coccifera s. str. from lowland heath, I wonder if these podetia might belong to C. mitis? It seems incredible, and I’m unwilling to believe it, but they seem neither to be C. arbuscula nor C. portentosa. They come from the same possibly high-quality lowland heath as the potential C. coccifera s. str — Westleton Common in East Suffolk (VC25/TM4468).

      They don’t seem to belong to C. arbuscula because they test neither Pd+ red nor Pd+ yellow. I’ve tested multiple times in both the field and at the bench, including with a freshly prepared batch of Pd. (The slight discolourations on the collected podetia are mostly patches of dried Pd from two-month-old tests, not a yellow reaction from psoromic acid. There was no colour at the time of the test.)

      The podetia also lack the strong directional ‘nap’ or recurve of C. arbuscula — though there does seem to be some slight tendency for it, and perhaps more than one might expect for ‘classic’ C. portentosa.

      They also don’t seem to be C. portentosa because they don’t test UV+ blue. And as mentioned, the morphology doesn’t seem to fit precisely well either — including the ‘monstrous’ inflated form. My understanding is that the ‘monstrous’ form of C. portentosa is found in boggy areas, but this specimen comes from a dry, sandy lowland heath where ‘classic’ C. portentosa can be abundantly found.

      On the positive side, the specimen does seem to have characteristics of C. mitis: hollow podetia, ecorticate surface, some slight recurve, tri- or tetrachotomous branching at the apices, fairly rich branching.

      Any advice gratefully received!

      Many thanks,

      Anthony

      Cladonia mitis sp inc 20250628-A-1.jpg

      [attachment=5]Cladonia mitis sp inc 20250628-A-1.jpg[/attachment]

      Cladonia mitis sp inc 20250628-A-2.jpg

      [attachment=4]Cladonia mitis sp inc 20250628-A-2.jpg[/attachment]

      Cladonia mitis sp inc 20250628-B-1.jpg

      [attachment=3]Cladonia mitis sp inc 20250628-B-1.jpg[/attachment]

      Cladonia mitis sp inc 20250628-B-2.jpg

      [attachment=2]Cladonia mitis sp inc 20250628-B-2.jpg[/attachment]

      Cladonia mitis sp inc 20250628-B-3.jpg

      [attachment=1]Cladonia mitis sp inc 20250628-B-3.jpg[/attachment]

      Cladonia mitis sp inc 20250628-B-4.jpg

      [attachment=0]Cladonia mitis sp inc 20250628-B-4.jpg[/attachment]

      #46657
      Anonymous

        I am thinking of Cladonia portentosa, the blue coloration under UV light being difficult to highlight in fresh conditions.

        Alain

        #46658
        aspeca
        Participant

          Many thanks, Alain. You may be right. With pale Cladonia, it can be difficult to distinguish true blue UV-fluorescence from mere blue UV-reflectance!

          Below are some comparison photos that may help: C. portentosa, C. arbuscula subsp. squarrosa (reacts Pd+ red), and the possible C. mitis.

          All the collected podetia are dry, and either months or years old. But just in case perlatolic acid degrades over time, I’ve also included a photo of fresh C. portentosa fluorescing clearly in the field. (If I can get sufficient shade on the specimen, I haven’t yet found it too problematic to capture the UV+ blue fluorescence of C. portentosa from fresh lichens.)

          In all cases, I’m using a front-filtered 365nm UV-torch (Alonefire). I also equalised the white balance, tint and saturation of the three photographs of the collected podetia to allow for better comparison.

          Considering that C. arbuscula is UV-, it stands to reason that it must be merely reflecting the UV-light (a bit like white paper), not fluorescing on its own. The C. portentosa, however, must be fluorescing UV+ blue from perlatolic acid. Perhaps that accounts for its somewhat more even blueness, especially in the photo of the fresh lichen in the field?

          To my eyes — and this is just my own colour perception of course! — the possible C. mitis looks more like the C. arbuscula (i.e. merely reflecting) than it does the C. portentosa (i.e. fluorescing). But I accept that others may see the colours differently, and that the morphological similarities and differences may be better evidence one way or the other.

          Thanks again,

          Anthony

          Cladonia portentosa 20240921-B01 Westleton.jpg

          [attachment=3]Cladonia portentosa 20240921-B01 Westleton.jpg[/attachment]

          Cladonia portentosa 20230802-A.jpg

          [attachment=2]Cladonia portentosa 20230802-A.jpg[/attachment]

          Cladonia arbuscula subsp squarrosa 20250412-A.jpg

          [attachment=1]Cladonia arbuscula subsp squarrosa 20250412-A.jpg[/attachment]

          Cladonia mitis sp inc 20250628-B-5.jpg

          [attachment=0]Cladonia mitis sp inc 20250628-B-5.jpg[/attachment]

          #46659
          Neil Sanderson
          Senior Moderator

            I was going to ask about double checking the UV flourescence as the podetia surface looks to be very like that of Cladonia portentosa; lose and a bit broken up (and giving a greenish tinge from a distance). C. mitis is very similar to Cladonia arbuscula with a compcact podetia surface that gives a slivery tinge from a distance.

            A close up of C. mitis podetia

            2023-02-11-08.jpg

            [attachment=0]2023-02-11-08.jpg[/attachment]

            The best Cladonia portentosa flourescence is seen at the base of the podetia and is in the cortex not the medual, I have never seen it fluoresce at the top of the podetia, and it is usually easy to see if not photograph

            Neil

            #46660
            aspeca
            Participant

              Many thanks, Neil. I can see the differences in the surface that you mean. Together with Alain’s comments, I think this points fairly clearly to C. portentosa. A fairly ‘exuberant’ form with which I wasn’t previously familiar.

              I’m a bit concerned now, though, about the fluorescence question, so any comments you might have on the photos below would be much appreciated. Does perlatolic acid degrade over time in the herbarium?

              Best regards,

              Anthony

              #46661
              Neil Sanderson
              Senior Moderator

                Anthony

                Fluorescence is very difficult to photograph, so not sure. One horible thought would be a perlatolic acid defficient varient of Cladonia portentosa!

                Quote:

                Does perlatolic acid degrade over time in the herbarium?

                I have just checked a uncurated box of specemens from when I was starting and a 1988 specimen of “Cladonia impexa“, i.e. Cladonia portentosa gave good flourescence, while a specmen named Cladonia arbuscula, included a mix of Cladonia arbuscula and Cladonia portentosa, with the latter giving a strong flourescence and the former no flourescence or reflectance; very dull indeed. I think fresh matterial of Cladonia arbuscula gives more reflectance?

                A picture I have up on the BLS website:

                2022-02-03-06-Cladonia-portentosa-c-arbuscula.jpg

                [attachment=0]2022-02-03-06-Cladonia-portentosa-c-arbuscula.jpg[/attachment]
                Cladonia portentosa left and Cladonia arbuscula right

                Neil

                #46662
                aspeca
                Participant

                  Thanks again, Neil — that’s really helpful.

                  I’m pretty confident I saw Cladonia arbuscula on another lowland heath in Suffolk (Wortham Ling, at VC25/TM0975), which tested a clear Pd+ red, and which has been recorded there before. See photo below (please do let me know if you disagree).

                  However, I realise now that the sample I collected for my herbarium is mostly if not all C. portentosa, with which the C. arbuscula must have been growing in something of an entangled fashion. This would explain the UV-photos above, which must be showing the UV+ blue fluorescence of C. portentosa in all three cases.

                  If your C. arbuscula was quite dull under UV-light, then it seems that distinguishing between UV+ blue fluorescence on the one hand, and mere UV-reflectance on the other, is less problematic than I’d assumed.

                  How frustrating! But also highly instructive. One expects one’s mistakes would result from thinking something is easier to recognise than it really is, rather than from thinking it’s harder!

                  Best regards,

                  Anthony

                  Cladonia arbuscula subsp squarrosa 20250412-A.jpg

                  [attachment=0]Cladonia arbuscula subsp squarrosa 20250412-A.jpg[/attachment]

                  #46663
                  Neil Sanderson
                  Senior Moderator

                    Anthony

                    That is perfect Cladonia arbuscula subsp. squarrosa. With Cladonia you only learn by trying!

                    Neil

                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.