Cladonia chlorophaeaC. cryptochlorophaeaC. merochlorophaeaC. grayi
Found on moss on a siliceous drystone wall along the single access road in the tiny hamlet of Kilmichael of Inverlussa, Argyll, NR77858, VC101 Kintyre, at about 25 masl (the shore of upper Loch Sween a five-minute walk away).
Spot-tests show it to be C-, K+ yellow turning red (perhaps), KC+ red, Pd+ orange-red, and UV+ faint yellow (perhaps). Photos below.
I’m a little unsure if the K-reaction is yellow turning red as it seems, or a sort of yellow turning brown from fumarprotocetraric acid. And the faint yellow (or blue?) tinge of the UV-fluorescence, assuming it’s actually there, depends more on the camera white-balance than I’m used to. The lichen as a whole seems to reflect so much bright bluish UV light that it’s hard to tell with the eye. (The UV-light photo is processed at the typical but rough 10,000K standard, and the filtered 365nm UV-torch is reliable.)
Many thanks in advance for any help! I think the KC+ red reaction seems clear, so I hope for a possible thumbs-up at least to record it as C grayiC. cryptochlorophaea
[attachment=8]Cladonia cryptochlorophaea sp inc 20240813-A01 Kilmichael of Inverlussa.jpg
[attachment=7]Cladonia cryptochlorophaea sp inc 20240813-A02 Kilmichael of Inverlussa.jpg
[attachment=6]Cladonia cryptochlorophaea sp inc 20240813-A04 Kilmichael of Inverlussa.jpg
[attachment=5]Cladonia cryptochlorophaea sp inc 20240813-A05 Kilmichael of Inverlussa.jpg
[attachment=4]Cladonia cryptochlorophaea sp inc 20240813-A08 Kilmichael of Inverlussa.jpg
[attachment=3]Cladonia cryptochlorophaea sp inc 20240813-A10 Kilmichael of Inverlussa.jpg
[attachment=2]Cladonia cryptochlorophaea sp inc 20240813-A11 Kilmichael of Inverlussa.jpg
[attachment=1]Cladonia cryptochlorophaea sp inc 20240813-A12 Kilmichael of Inverlussa.jpg
[attachment=0]Cladonia cryptochlorophaea sp inc 20240813-A14 Kilmichael of Inverlussa.jpg
Cladonia cryptochlorophaeaCladonia cryptochlorophaeaCladonia merochlorophaea
Also while some Cladonia grayiCladonia cyathomorphaCladonia pyxidataCladonia humilisCladonia
Cladonia cyathomorphaCladonia pyxidata
I hope this helps. Away surveying in the Lizard at the moment, but I will try and photograph the Cladonia cryptochlorophaeaCladonia merochlorophaea
Neil
[attachment=1]2024-10-21-11.JPG
From current my work Heterodermia leucomelosCladonia stereoclada
[attachment=0]2024-10-22-07.JPG
Cladonia mediterraneaCladonia mediterraneaCladonia mediterranea
Very many thanks for this advice. It really clarifies matters for me. I was looking for K+ yellow turning red because LGBI3 glosses the ‘K+ yellow-red’ in LBGI2 as ‘presumably yellow -> red’. It’s helpful to know that you yourself haven’t ever seen that reaction with C. cryptochlorophaea
Your pointer on the KC-test is especially useful. I was a bit excited about the possibility of having witnessed this ‘KC+ wine-red’. I thought the phrase meant perhaps more a light beaujolais than a deep cabernet — but from your description it sounds more the other way round. Perhaps I should just stick with the catch-all C. chlorophaea
Thanks for the steer to C. cyathomorpha
Enjoy your Cornish fieldwork — glad the goats are cooperating with rare lichen conservation!
Thanks again,
Anthony
Just following up on the above — I’ve examined the squamules in my collected material and I believe I’ve found the tell-tale veining you descibed. But as this would be the first record of C. cyathomorpha
Photos below. The veining was visible on the largest squamule in my material. I’ve tried to provide photographs with both direct and oblique lighting to help the slightly raised veining stand out from the otherwise ‘mealy’ underside (described on the ITALIC 8.0 website as ‘floccose’). I’ve also provided a better photograph of a podetium, to show the verrucose but generally egranulose and esorediate texture that you said also helped to separate C. cyathomorphaC. pyxidataC. chlorophaea
Many thanks again,
Anthony
[attachment=3]Cladonia cyathomorpha 20240813-A11 Kilmichael of Inverlussa.jpg
[attachment=2]Cladonia cyathomorpha 20240813-A12 Kilmichael of Inverlussa.jpg
[attachment=1]Cladonia cyathomorpha 20240813-A13 Kilmichael of Inverlussa.jpg
[attachment=0]Cladonia cyathomorpha 20240813-A04 Kilmichael of Inverlussa.jpg
Yes that is fine. I do usually look for these veins first time in the day when I find it, but once that is out of the way the granular inside of the cup contrasting with “the verrucose but generally egranulose and esorediate texture” of the podetia below the cup and the green squamules make it easy to spot once learned.
Ah ‘floccose’ I knew there was a fancier word. I think I have used flocked in some of the website descriptions.
Neil
