Caloplaca britannica?

Forums › Forums › Lichens › Caloplaca britannica?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #32740

    From the same rock sherd as the probable Collemopsidium halodytes posted on 13 December I have this lichen.

    It is growing in the saline/brackish community of Verrucaria maura, Caloplaca thallincola and Collemopsidium halodytes on natural weathered sandstone in the Severn estuary.

    I think it is a Caloplaca because it is K+red and apparently crustose.

    No fruit found.

    It reminds me of Caloplaca arcis, with tiny lobate thalli, but perhaps it is Caloplaca britannica. Thoughts please!

    Juliet

    #45842
    Anonymous

      I do not think that it is Caloplaca britannica which is an isidiate species and I rather think of Caloplaca microthallina which is parasitic on Hydropunctaria maura as is the case here.

      ​

      #45843
      John Skinner
      Participant

        I agree with Calolaca microthallina. C. britannica does have marginal lobes but they are tiny, very narrow and finger-like, not wide like this, and of course it does develop mounds of isidia. C. arcis has blastidia and the habitat here is wrong.

        #45844

        Thanks Both – that is really helpful. I feel bad being so ignorant of estuarine species when there’s so much of it running up the middle of my county, but you’ve got to start somewhere. Better than being over-confident, I guess. All hints gratefully received.

        Happy Christmas

        Juliet

      Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.