Forums › Forums › Fungi ID requests (post here if you aren’t sure what type of fungus you’ve found) › Bluish discomycete
Today at Devils Dyke on the South Downs I came across this dark bluish disco underneath a log in Ash woodland (so the log presumably belongs to Ash). It is 1mm in diameter. I’ve attached photos of the whole fruitbodies along with my best efforts at microscopy. The asci are approximately 5um in width and the spores are asymmetrical (elliptical) 8.5um in length and 1.5um in width.
Any help would be much appreciated! Sorry if the microscope photos aren’t that clear.
James
on wood this is probablyMollisiaMollisia cinereaScutellinia scutellata
If you haven’t already download this: Pyrenopeziza http://www.ascofrance.com/search_recolte/3202http://www.ascofrance.com/search_recolte/3202notM. rosae
Hope that helps a bit.
Chris
Thanks for the link to that key – really helpful! I ran it through the key using the following characters I was able to see on my specimen:
[list]
[list]
[list]
[list]
These led me to Mollisia fusca
James
let’s hope the man himself (Andreas) will make a comment. The key thing is that the whole exercise has given you a lot of experience/learnt skills – ultimately it’s the only way one starts to get to grips with a group.
PS – a good set of images of Mollisia fuscahttp://www.ascofrance.com/search_recolte/4450http://www.ascofrance.com/search_recolte/4450
