Bark culture

Forums › Forums › Myxomycetes (slime moulds) › Bark culture

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #29465

    I don’t know if anyone has ever tried this but I read about it in a book on Myxo’s (Stephenson) and thought I’d give it a go..

    We took samples of bark from several trees in our local park and left them in moist conditions (petri dishes with wet paper in base).

    Bark_800.jpg

    [attachment=2]Bark_800.jpg[/attachment]

    Within 24 hours, there were large numbers of what was probably Echinostelium minutum. I left them for another 24 hours to let them develop and the next time I looked they had completely vanished.

    Just over two weeks later there are a few interesting areas. Firstly, some tiny black sporangia on stalks. I found it hard to get good macro photos with the stereo, but was able to transfer one to a slide and take these.

    spores x 400_11_800.jpg

    [attachment=1]spores x 400_11_800.jpg[/attachment]

    spores2 x 1000_1_800.jpg

    [attachment=0]spores2 x 1000_1_800.jpg[/attachment]

    Apparently, these small myxomycetes are quite hard to tell apart but it looks to me like it could be Comatricha acanthodes. Any alternative suggestions welcome.

    There are another couple of larger sessile bodies developing, so I hope to have a look at these soon.

    John

    #34955
    #34956

    Hi Chris,

    Great link – way beyond my very basic knowledge of Myxomycetes and skills (I don’t do microscopy unfortunately).

    These ‘creatures’ are fascinating!

    Mark

    #34957

    Thanks very much Chris.

    Yes, I have seen the article on the BMS site before but I have never used it – it looked a bit daunting. I may try to walk through it with this sample and see how it goes.

    I did manage to get a pic of a sporangium after a few attempts.

    #34958

    Pitufo wrote:

    Thanks very much Chris.

    Yes, I have seen the article on the BMS site before but I have never used it – it looked a bit daunting. . . .


    Hi

    a good key should never be daunting. What is really daunting is not having any relevant literature. I’ve now been tempted to try this as well – I’m a myxo ignoramus tbh, so it’ll be interesting to see how this all pans out (you’re not alone :? )

    Chris

    #34959

    A few more pics from the bark culture..

    EDoF_P0625170233_800.jpg

    [attachment=2]EDoF_P0625170233_800.jpg[/attachment]

    EDoF_P0625172457_800.jpg

    [attachment=0]EDoF_P0625172457_800.jpg[/attachment]

    EDoF_P0625173327_usharpmask_800.jpg

    [attachment=1]EDoF_P0625173327_usharpmask_800.jpg[/attachment]

    There are also some grey discomycetes (<1mm), some strange white structures which look a little like white discos but aren't and several deuteromycetes. Not to mention, miniature snails and a selection of beetles and possibly nematode worms. Quite a little zoo in a petri dish..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.