Bacidina caerulea?

Forums › Forums › Lichens › Bacidina caerulea?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #32998

    On a mature elder in ancient oak woodland in north Norfolk. Apothecia 0.2-0.4mm, ascospores +/- 35um, acicular, blue green tinge to the exciple and epithecium, hypothecium colourless. The nearest thing I could find was Bacidina caerulea (from a post in June last year on here). Does this look right?

    #46495

    The habitat sounds very like the one I posted on 4 June last year – shady elder. Mine was in a very damp site, and maybe you rarely get that level of prolonged humidity in Norfolk.

    The blue colour of your specimen also sounds right.

    With my specimen, I was concerned about the friesiana/caerulea split, and was plumping for caerulea because I could see no brown pigments. I can’t really make out the colour in your section, so a different shot with the condenser aperture more open would be helpful.

    But having said all that, I have little experience with Bacidinas so I hope some one else comments too!

    Juliet

    #46496
    maxieput901
    Participant

      This looks like Bacidina caerulea by the colour of the exciple. I recorded a similar lichen as B. friesiana back in 2014 which was probably prior to the split and remember the bluish tinge and the piebald apothecia. I imagine it was actually B. caerulea in fact.

      It was also on elder bark and not in a particularly nutrient-rich community. I notice in LGBI3 that a liking for nutrient-enrichment is noted for B. friesiana and not for B. caerulea but perhaps the latter has not been widely enough recorded to comment yet.

    Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.