Anyone know this? Black cap, white gills, on wood

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #31708

    These mushrooms were growing out of an old decayed tree stump. They have characteristics of charcoal burner russula but it grows on wood. Which apparantly charcoal burners do not. Does anyone have any idea?

    #43074
    Lancashire Lad
    Moderator

      Hi, and welcome to UK Fungi.

      In your final two images, the cap appears have a faint umbo, and looks to be very faintly fibrillose/striate, having distinctly dark grey tones, with what I would describe as bluish tints.

      The only wood inhabiting species that readily springs to mind with those particular macro characteristics is Willow Shield. – Pluteus salicinus.

      However, The stem on your example seems to be much thicker than I would expect for that species (relative to cap diameter).

      A spore print would be useful, (pale pink for P.salicinus), as it would enable you to include or exclude various genera, but I think this would be one which would definitely be needing microscopy to get anywhere near a confident species ID.

      Regards,

      Mike.

      #43075

      Thank you for your response. I’ve looked it up and I agree with you that it seems similar but has a very thick stipe. I took a spore print overnight but it looks more white than pink. I think I’ll be throwing them away as I don’t know what they are (although the one you suggested is psychedelic apparently so that would be been interesting 😂, although not what I was looking for of course)

      #43076
      adampembs
      Keymaster

        It does look like a Russula, especially the gills. It wwas growing very close to the ground, and the wood looks quite decomposed there, so I wouldn’t rule it out.

        I recommend doing spore prints on glass. Then you can use a razor to scrape the spores together until you have a thicker mass. What looks white when in a thin layer might show a pinkish tinge (like Pluteus) or from pure white through cream to ochre for Russulas, depending on species.

        #43077
        eltio
        Participant

          How about Russula cyanoxantha v. pelteraui?

          #43078
          adampembs
          Keymaster

            Russula is a difficult genus and need to be keyed out properly. Even then…

            Spore mass colour and taste especially. Smell occasionally useful.

            Mycorrhizal host.

            Extent of cap peeling

          Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.