Agonimia on Ash in the Dales

Forums › Forums › Lichens › Agonimia on Ash in the Dales

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #33145
    kianhaylescotton
    Participant

      Hi everyone,

      I would appreciate some help please on these Agonimia on a few dampish Ash trunks in the Yorkshire Dales at Scoska Wood (Arncliffe). I’m leaning towards Agonimia octopsora being very green and not showing any hint of brown, but maybe a tad flattened? They were growing quite abundantly from 1m to at least 3ish meters up each tree. I realise it might of been wise to collect some given one was fertile.

      Cheers,

      Kian

      Tree 1: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/338708036” class=”bbcode_url”>https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/338708036

      Tree 2:https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/338721790” class=”bbcode_url”>https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/338721790

      #46864
      Neil Sanderson
      Senior Moderator

        You would have to collect to be sure, but the colours will be affected by being wet and a lot of Agonimia tristicula on trees is rather green (the two species are more distinct when dry). The two are similar when the squamules are not well developed, but I can see some that look too disproportionately wide to be likely to be Agonimia octospora and the perithecia look wrong. Those on Agonimia octospora are usually quite smooth walled, even larger than the squamules than these and often appear disconnected from the squamules. This and the location suggest this is Agonimia tristicula, but examination of the perithecia would be definitive.

        Neil

        #46865
        kianhaylescotton
        Participant

          Hi Neil,

          Much appreciated those are some handy tips, especially knowing that the colour isn’t reliable for corticolous ones. I’ll update my records now.

          Kian

        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.