Fungus on rotting hay bale

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
This is a wildlife forum, not a cooking one. Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. For more on our reasons, see the FAQ page.
Ernesto
Regular user

Fungus on rotting hay bale

Post by Ernesto »

I saw these yesterday growing on a heap of rotting hay from an old discarded bale. Any guidance would be very welcome.
Attachments
DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg
Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Fungus on rotting hay bale

Post by Lancashire Lad »

Agrocybe comes to mind. - Several Agrocybe species (molesta, praecox, etc,) grow amongst grasses, although directly on a hay bale would seem unusual!

However, I can’t see any evidence of a ring, and these look quite small.

(A note to everyone posting ID requests!!! - Always state the size of the fruitbodies, as it’s often difficult to estimate with any confidence from photos alone).

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.
Ernesto
Regular user

Re: Fungus on rotting hay bale

Post by Ernesto »

Thanks Mike. The cap that I brought home was under glass in the hope of a SP (unsuccessful). And so was out of mind. Apologies. Cap dia 4.5 cm.

Yes, it was the unusual substrate that first caught my attention. There were also some Panaeolus and Psathyrella about in the mix