4 images of 2 fungi, can you help identify them please

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
combitz
New user

4 images of 2 fungi, can you help identify them please

Post by combitz » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:39 am

Hi all,

Thanks for providing a great resource, hoping someone can help identify these fungi.

Sorry the images are not as good as they could be, I've now read the faq and understand what I need to photograph next time to help make identification easier but the woodland is an hour away so thought I'd try with what I have. I can retake in a week or two, if they are still there.

Just to clarify images 1&2, then 3&4 are the same fungi at different angles.
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
Thanks for looking and really appreciate any info.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: 4 images of 2 fungi, can you help identify them please

Post by Chris Yeates » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:49 pm

Hi and welcome to the site
Both these fungi are Armillaria species - honey fungus complex - at different stages of development. At this time of year it's worth familiarising yourself with Armillaria at different stages, as honey fungus is very common in all sorts of woodland habitats, hedge bottoms etc. As with many of the larger fungi young, mature and over-mature fruitbodies can look confusingly different when you are starting out.
HTH
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:14 am

I have deleted your post about eating of fungi.

Please take a moment to read Edibility Requests

Best wishes
Adam Pollard
Site admin

combitz
New user

Post by combitz » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:39 pm

Oops, I think this has been misunderstood sorry,

What I should have clarified was I had not tried to identify fungi previously seen, (e.g as you are just walking through a woodland). This time it is hopefully going to become my woodland so I had tried to identify these mainly to ensure they were not lethal. I couldn't decide if they were a true Chanterelle or false Chanterelle and then I just got lost in a world of confusion.

After the kind response from Chris I looked up the Armillaria family and the notes on one page caused me to post the comment that was removed. I posted the poorly worded response because after looking at several other images on sites I still wasn't sure, obviously showing my lack of skill.

Sorry for the confusion and my brain fart post.

Wrists slapped for not reading the rules. :oops:

Thanks
Last edited by combitz on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:10 pm

Thank you for listening :D
Adam Pollard
Site admin