ID help for a complete Fungi newbie

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
TripleM
New user

ID help for a complete Fungi newbie

Post by TripleM » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:13 pm

Hello :) I found this fungi in woodland near a wetland area in Berkshire. As I am doing an ecological university project there I thought I should identify it however after looking online and in ID books I cannot work out what this species is. Any help?
Also due to the heavy rain recently I am not sure if this would have affected the appearance?
Thank you in advance!
(sorry it is only the one picture I naively thought I could work out what it was aha!)
Attachments
fungi.jpg

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: ID help for a complete Fungi newbie

Post by adampembs » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:03 am

Welcome to Uk Fungi :)

Please take a moment to read HELP US TO HELP YOU TO IDENTIFY YOUR FINDS

We appreciate you might not be able to provide all these details, but the more the better chance we have of reaching an ID.Particularly, we need to see clear photos of the top of the cap, plus of the gills and stem.

Best wishes
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Peachysteve
User

Re: ID help for a complete Fungi newbie

Post by Peachysteve » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:31 am

Given that you only have this one photograph there are several options. One is a Flammulina, the most common being F. velutipes which would have a dark and maybe velvety stem. These would be quite old specimens.
They are a good one to look out for at this time of year, the can be velvety or slimy on top and grow on wood.