Ball shaped fungi with lattice interior

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
JaneP
New user

Ball shaped fungi with lattice interior

Post by JaneP » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Hi,
I was digging in my garden in Bristol yesterday and came across this fungus growing in the leaf litter from a bamboo. There were two balls, one was already partially broken, it has a lattice type interior which was covered in a jelly substance.

Is anyone able to tell me what it is?

Many thanks
Jane
Attachments
A94C1B00-203E-42EA-BDAC-CBBF47580585.jpeg

Flaxton
Frequent user

Re: Ball shaped fungi with lattice interior

Post by Flaxton » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:40 pm

Hi Jane welcome to the forum.
It is one of the "stink horn" group. It may develop into a Phallus impudicus or even better as a White cage fungi Ileodictyon cibarium.. leave the second one to develop and update us as to what it turns in to.
Mal

JaneP
New user

Re: Ball shaped fungi with lattice interior

Post by JaneP » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:04 am

Hi Mal,
Thanks so much for your reply. The second one isn’t attached to the soil anymore, so it’s starting to shrivel a bit, but I’ll leave it be and see if it does anything.
Thanks for your help
Jane