Patch of Amantia? Plus something that has me confused

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
anza
New user

Patch of Amantia? Plus something that has me confused

Post by anza » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi all, first post here, but would love some help with IDing some mushrooms I found 10 days ago in Kent.

The first is a group of what I guess are some sort of amantia that were growing in a line/ring in grass under chestnut and oak. My first though was something like a blusher given the colour, but I don't know enough to have any confidence.
amantia.jpg
line of amantia.jpg
Growing nearby was a similar, but I think slightly different mushroom.
other amantia.jpg
The other mushroom I'd like to ID has me confused. It had a cap but didn't seem to have gills or pores. I found it growing on the edge of woodland on the verge of a field.
white mushroom.png
white mushroom cap.png
white mushroom underside.png
I cut it open and it was pure white and spongey inside, a bit like a young puffball. I should have taken a picture but didn't think to at the time.

Thanks

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Patch of Amantia? Plus something that has me confused

Post by adampembs » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Welcome to Uk Fungi, Anza :)

Please take a moment to read HELP US TO HELP YOU TO IDENTIFY YOUR FINDS

We appreciate you might not be able to provide all these details, but the more the better chance we have of reaching an ID.Particularly, we need to see clear photos of the top of the cap, plus of the gills and stem.

It wont hurt the fungus or yourself if you carefully dig one up (a penknife is ideal, but if I dont have one, I use my keys! )
Its not Novichok, you wont absorb fungal toxin through the skin!

The first one does look like a blusher, but would be good to see the base / volva and the ring.
Not enough info provided or visible with the second.

Fungi are hard to identify by photos alone. Remember there are 4 other senses at our disposal although sound is of dubious value ;-) but smell and touch and taste (with extreme caution) are certainly important.

Best wishes
Adam Pollard
Site admin

anza
New user

Post by anza » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:48 pm

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply.
With the Amantia, I was wary of picking it knowing there are deadly poisonous Amantias that look similar. As you say it's not Novichok, but what precautions do you take when handling unknown mushrooms?

For future reference what would enable you to say with confidence that it is a blusher? Would volva and ring be enough?

I just found I took a picture of another example from the same patch with more of the base visible, though from what you say it's probably still not enough for a positive ID.
blusher closeup.jpg

Did you have any ideas on the white mushroom at the bottom of the post? I have no idea what that is. Would love at least have a pointer in the right direction if an ID is not possible.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:40 pm

I'm hoping a proper expert will answer on this, I've only been doing this for about 10 years. The last one is familiar but cant place it.

As far as toxicity is concerned, the lethal dose of Death Cap is about 1/2 a cap. This is the species that kills most people. So you really have to eat it for it to be dangerous. Having said that, its always advisable to wash your hands after touching anything in the wild,including soil before eating or if you bite your finger nails :) Its basic hygiene and about disease in soil etc as much as anything else.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:02 am

Like Adam I don’t class myself as a proper expert I have only got 35 years experience 😉
Once you have seen a few Blushers you rarely need to disturb them. There is normally some reddening on the fruit body especially where it has been damaged/eaten. If you cut the fruit body in half it should turn pink, that with ring and bulbous base gives you your id.
I think your last find is a weather affected Clouded Agaric. Strange shapes often occur at this time of year.
Mal

anza
New user

Post by anza » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:41 am

Thanks to both of you for taking time to reply, really appreciate it.