White fungus on rotting tree trunk

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
This is a wildlife forum, not a cooking one. Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. For more on our reasons, see the FAQ page.
Ernesto
Regular user

White fungus on rotting tree trunk

Post by Ernesto »

This was found yesterday on a rotting tree trunk (possibly Alder) in a soggy mire. It seems to have the characteristics of a Pluteus sp (P. inquilinus??). But could it possibly be a rather mature Mycena sp? Thanks for any guidance.
Attachments
DSC_0086.JPG
DSC_0087.JPG
2.1.jpg
2.2.jpg
adampembs
Frequent user

Re: White fungus on rotting tree trunk

Post by adampembs »

Pluteus would have free gills, these are emarginate. Are the gills actually pink or is the the result of a flash being used?
Adam Pollard
Site admin
Ernesto
Regular user

Post by Ernesto »

The last two pictures were taken via a digital microscope which revealed the faint pink clouration. As the cap dries (I have it by my side), I can see that the pink colour has become more pronounced. So I believe it is natural. Thanks.
adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs »

Have you taken a spore print?
Adam Pollard
Site admin
Ernesto
Regular user

Post by Ernesto »

I tried to take a spore print but with no positive result. There was no sign after 24 hours. Disappointing.
adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs »

It is probably a mature Mycena galericulata. What is cap diameter?
See the 4th image down at
https://www.first-nature.com/fungi/myce ... culata.php
Adam Pollard
Site admin
Ernesto
Regular user

Post by Ernesto »

Many thanks Adam. You will have noticed that I harboured a nagging thought on Mycena in my first post. Cap dia. is 40mm max. And I note that M. galericulata gills take on a pinkish tinge with maturity. Good work!