Compact/Portable cameras

Discussion about cameras, microscopes, stains, and gadgets, along with useful tips for preparation of fungi samples
Linda Quiltmaniac
User

Re: Compact/Portable cameras

Post by Linda Quiltmaniac »

Thanks so much. I will definitely look into that.
I am a nature photographer who has become fascinated by fungi. I live in The Chilterns in Oxfordshire and am trying to identify all the fungi that I photograph on a daily basis. I'm very grateful for any help you can give. Thanks!
galadial
User

Post by galadial »

Do folk still recommend the Olympus TG-6 for on-the-go macro fungi photography? Does anyone here have any experience of how easy the OLympus software is to use?
Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton »

Still using the TG4. The same comment as earlier. Good camera for someone with little or no camera skills and tends to abuse the equipment. I see no reason why the TG6 should be any different
Mal
adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs »

The only trouble with these cameras is the lack of a cover for the glass in front of the lens. This means you have to put it in a case after every shot or it gets scratched.
Adam Pollard
Site admin
galadial
User

Post by galadial »

People say that modern smartphones are as good as these compact cameras? Anyone have the TGx series and a smartphone with realwold experience?
adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs »

galadial wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:07 pm People say that modern smartphones are as good as these compact cameras? Anyone have the TGx series and a smartphone with realwold experience?
Very late reply, but might be of benefit to others.
Smartphones have more or less wiped out the budget compact market, but they still do not compete with high end compacts. The lack of an optical zoom in most cameras is one factor, but also the lens and sensor size is inevitably restricted. Most smartphones are not so good in dark woods, or for real close ups although better ones are.
Adam Pollard
Site admin
David H
User

Post by David H »

Another point to bear in mind is that TG series cameras are waterproof so ideal for wet, windy, autumn conditions (especially west Wales!). I'm not sure how weather proof most mobile phones are.