Ascocoryne cylichnium

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Ascocoryne cylichnium

Post by Chris Yeates »

Hello all
I have recently been in e-communication with Zotto Baral on a number of issues one of them concerning the genus Ascocoryne on which he has been working, incorporating sequencing information; apparently there are 15 species worldwide. Regarding A. cylichnium . He writes:
"It turned out that there exist two similar species, one with croziers and one without. The latter I call A. deuncinata and it seems at least as frequent as cylichnium. Maybe even the type of cylichnium is without croziers - who knows." *
Accordingly it will be worthwhile when collecting this "species" to try and ascertain this character. While it is often a bit tricky to decide on the presence or absence of croziers I would imagine Ascocoryne would be one of the more straightforward genera.
Chris

*PS I infer from this that the voucher material for Louis-René Tulasne's "Peziza cylichnium" is either lost or has not been examined yet. Clearly at that time (1854) such features were not used - the protologue is here: https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/pag ... 0/mode/1up
On the subject of the Tulasne brothers I shall post something of interest on the "Resources" thread
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"