Literature & resources for rusts and smuts

Plant diseases
rustbucket
Regular user

Re: Literature & resources for rusts and smuts

Post by rustbucket » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:29 am

Hi Mark/Mike,
Yes - well done to MykoGolfer. Should we all take up golf in an attempt to be successful in finding this elusive rust. Mark - I've been to all the opencast sites here and looked at the Pyrola but no luck even though there are carpets of the stuff indicating that the plants weren't infected when they were brought in.
I'm sure the rust is at Oxwich or Whitford dunes near you as these have classic slacks within the complex.
Nigel

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:33 am

Hi Nigel,

I spent 5.5 hours out on Whiteford dunes with Martyn et al - plenty of Pyrola but no Rust!
That was my introduction to searching for the Rust and it hasn't put me off!!

Mark
'The more I know the more I realise I don't know'

Andy Simpson
New user

Post by Andy Simpson » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:47 pm

As previously mentioned, 'Dutch Rust Fungi', is currently being reprinted. I have received an Email from the author, who is happy to take orders, enquiries. Contact details: Aad Termorshuizen at (prjb0001@planet.nl). Expected cost to be around 30 Euros and 5 Euros postage,packaging.
Andy

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:37 pm

I have ordered re-print via Summerfield books (http://www.summerfieldbooks.com/). Cost around £30 (dependent on £/Euro) plus p&P
Mark
'The more I know the more I realise I don't know'

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:35 pm

Hi all,

For anyone who isn't already aware, "Roesten van Nederland" (Dutch Rust Fungi) by A.J. Termorshuizen and C.A. Swertz: -
DRF.jpg
400+ pages, written in both Dutch and English. (Well worth buying the printed book for anyone with an interest in rusts!!!).

is now available as a completely free PDF download from: -
https://bodemplant.nl/en/roesten/?fbcli ... fJ_8dvf7rg

NB at well over 700MB this is quite a big download - so could take a while depending on your internet speed etc.
Note also, that it doesn't download (for me anyway) using Internet Explorer as browser, but it downloads without problem using Google Chrome.

Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in Rusts, as most (if not all) rusts found in Britain are included in the book).

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:41 pm

No problem with Firefox.

I have downloaded it and run it through ABBYY OCR software. This has reduced it from 700Mb to around 15.3 Mb without any loss of quality. I did the same earlier this week with another huge file which had been placed online.
So if anyone is interested they can PM me and let me have their email address (always treated with confidence) I'll put it on Dropbox and give you a link. It's a lot easier to use than that 700Mb behemoth :lol:

Cheers
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

__clare__
New user

Post by __clare__ » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:23 pm

Hello, I keep popping back to this board as it is such a useful source of information. Many thanks to everyone who's shared references and links.

This is my first time posting on UK Fungi, as I've only just registered. But I thought some folks here might be interested in an idea I had to start a Mycological Book Club, over on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MycoBookClub. The first book we'll be reading is 'Rust, Smut, Mildew & Mould' by M. C. Cooke (5th edition, 1886).

You guys will probably understand better than anyone why I chose this book - because it's such a great read! Plus it's about rusts & smuts which are so interesting! And, as it's available for free from the Biodiversity Heritage Library (here: https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/ite ... 7/mode/1up), I figured it would be easy for people to get hold of, during this period of lockdown.

I haven't attempted anything like this before, so I'm not sure if it's going to work. But the basic idea is for people to log onto Twitter at 7:30 pm on Tuesday 5 May and chat about the book, using the hashtag #MycoBookClub. All welcome!

Clare (@__clare__ on Twitter)
"searcher after curiosities"

Fay Newbery
Regular user

Post by Fay Newbery » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:03 pm

Welcome Clare,

I've found the book and will try to read it in time. Good to see you on the forum.