Lycogala epidendrum or L. confusum

Not technically fungi, but often lumped together with fungi
MaxRum
Regular user

Lycogala epidendrum or L. confusum

Post by MaxRum » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:58 pm

I was attracted to the vermilion-carmine plasmodium on wood-chips used in some animal bedding and dumped on soil under a pine grove. The epithelium was dull brown, rather smooth or verrucose. Spore mass pink-beige then ochraceous. Pseudcapillitium quite branched and even anastamosing with transversal wrinks and inflated ends. Scales medium yellow-brown with a brownish pigment, 4-5 sided irregularangular polyhedral shape but flat and simple otherwise.

I can't decide between Lycogala epidendrum or L. confusum. Apparently the scales are the discriminant character.

On discoverlife I read: "the surface covered with sunken or superficial, irregularly shaped vesicles, filled with yellow fluid, drying into ± rounded scales, 0.05-0.3 mm diam."

The scales were more or less angular (=confusum) with the said yellow pigment (=epidendrum!)
Attachments
Plasmodium
Plasmodium
Aethalia in habitus
Aethalia in habitus
Aethalia under microscope
Aethalia under microscope
Spore mass
Spore mass
Aethaelia in habitus
Aethaelia in habitus
Scales with yellow content
Scales with yellow content

MaxRum
Regular user

Re: Lycogala epidendrum or L. confusum

Post by MaxRum » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:05 pm

More images.

Somewhat I am leaning towards L. confusum, the key states scales grouped in rows or forming a net for L. confusum vs Scales not grouped for epidendrum but I do not really know what is being meant by grouped!
Attachments
Pseudocapillitium
Pseudocapillitium
Scales
Scales
Aetalia and Plasmodium
Aetalia and Plasmodium

Pitufo
Frequent user

Post by Pitufo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:47 pm

The scales might be easier to see mounted in water. The macro shot of your sample does not show a strong pattern like the photo I have of exiguum (which is closely grouped with confusa). Nice shot of the pseudocapillitium.

http://www.discoverlife.org/IM/I_UARK/0 ... RK1449.jpg and http://www.ambmuggia.it/forum/uploads/p ... 031528.jpg

Lycogala epidendrum, terrestre, exiguum and confusa are all pretty closely related as I'm sure you're aware.

Which book(s) are you using? Ing has a drawing of scale grouping p94 and Poulain Book 2 No 56 (exiguum).

Cheers,

John

MaxRum
Regular user

Post by MaxRum » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:47 pm

I don't have any more the material to make a water-mounted analysis. These photos were taken 3 months ago or more and I am analysing them now! I take it between the lines that this is likely more epidendrum than L. confusum right? I am using the duo book Les Myxomycetes by Poulain, Meyer and Bozonnet. Any alternative key to follow online ? I am quite sure my specimen is between confusum and epidendrum (not exiguum) and mayber it is just the commoner Lycogala epidendron! (Although the ochraceous spore massis a bit thumbs down for this species!)

MaxRum
Regular user

Post by MaxRum » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:21 am

I have found a online herbaria of L. epidendrum var. confusum with four voucher specimens and I got back a bit more confused. This may also trigger some of you to revise your epidendrum s.l. collections. The link is here:

Dutch Herbarium specimens of L. confusum

I have translated the notes in english as follows:

• Plasmodium reddish orange. Spores ą 1um wide border. Aeth. 2-6mm, beige translucent. Traces 6-7μm. Capillitium most 6-8μm, wrinkled, smooth. Scales adjacent to rows and groups.

• Spore mass pink. In almost every cell of the scales one or more oil drops. The cells also tend to be reticulate! Aeth. 3-6mm, gray. Traces ą 6-7μm. Peridium grainy. Capillitium 7.5-15 μm, wrinkled, almost smooth + very nice warts. Scales with caps, tesselate, alveolar.

• Massive beige ripe - rosy brown. And coral red + orange plasmodium still to be seen. Spores fresh: pink. Adults also present "minute tesselation", also in the cells. Spores 6.5μm. Young the cells with red core.

• Plasmodium orange vermilion. Spores fresh pale salmon rose, 6-7μm. L. epidendrum var. Confusum from which it differs in the scales not being alveolar. Scales adjacent reticulate, chopped, tess.-like, whimsical with caps, beams.

The text and the drawings are refering to the fact that the sacels are in groups and now I am thinking that the scales of my specimens are also in groups like the drawings! I've searched what tesselated means and it says like tiles of a floor, and that is what I see! One text says: "In almost every cell of the scales one or more oil drops." and I think that the yellow mass in the scales are the oil drops. Elsewhere I read and got the impression that the ochraceous spore mass is also distinct but I have no experience.

It would be nice to see images of scales of L. epidendrum s. s. to compare with! Are they completely free?

Any thoughts about this ? Do you think it might actually be L. confusum based on the scales joined like floor-tiles?

MaxRum
Regular user

Post by MaxRum » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:30 am

Another image of the grouped scales with what looks to be oil droplets inside.
Attachments
IMG_8292s.jpg