Capronia pulcherrima

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Capronia pulcherrima

Post by Chris Yeates » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:31 pm

A tricky genus, with the exception of C. nigerrima (once placed in Berlesiella) which generally grows in clusters on diatrypaceous fungi and with a bit of experience is identifiable in the field with a hand-lens.

Fortunately Gernot Friebes has produced a workable key in Ascomycete.org:
https://ascomycete.org/Portals/0/Archiv ... 055-64.pdf

This is the first Yorkshire record, perhaps not surprising with a rather difficult group. As you can see this was collected in sunshine last week, when I realised I was over-dressed so warm was it - as I type it is snowing outside!

A bit of a milestone this, this is the 800th 'plate' I have now put together; though that still represents less than 15% of the fungi recorded for Yorkshire.

Best wishes to all
Chris
Capronia pulcherrima 0a.jpg
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Paul Cannon
Regular user

Re: Capronia pulcherrima

Post by Paul Cannon » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:22 pm

Congratulations on the milestone. The question is, is the rate of discovery of new species for Yorkshire greater than your compilation rate?
Looking forward to a book (or something)...

Paul

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:04 pm

Paul Cannon wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:22 pm Congratulations on the milestone. The question is, is the rate of discovery of new species for Yorkshire greater than your compilation rate?
Looking forward to a book (or something)...

Paul
Thanks Paul, about keeping pace I would say. The Yorkshire list shrank a bit recently when I square-bracketed a lot of those "Phyllosticta" records based on one or a couple of old records of leaf spots, based on the "one new host = one new species" system - Aas' monograph helped me bite the bullet.
I am writing up sections, by order and/or family - approaching a third of the Yorkshire mycota done so far, incorporating the images. Just finished by far the trickiest - the Diaporthales (no surprise there!). Lots of name changes, updating records etc. thanks to the "one name" system, about which I have no problem, just involves quite a lot of work. Thankfully some relatively recent open-source papers, based on molecular studies, have helped clarify many areas.
Cheers
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Fay Newbery
Regular user

Post by Fay Newbery » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:24 pm

Great work Chris. How many volumes are you going to need?!
I love seeing your compilations. Wish I could do as well with my photography.