Myzocytium netrii?

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Myzocytium netrii?

Post by Chris Johnson » Wed May 06, 2020 7:44 am

As far as I can ascertain, this fungus is host specific to the desmid genus Netrium.
Here it has infected Netrium digitus and Netrium digitus var. latum.
The latest taxonomy has reduced the genus to 4 species, all parasitic on algae.
Sample taken with a 30 microns plankton net through a Sphagnum-rich pool with a pH of 4.4.

References:
Blackwell, W.H., Letcher P.M. & Powell, M.J. (2014) Questions regarding genus Myzocytium (Oomycota, Straminipila) and its species: Variation and identity of specimens in west-central Alabama. Phytologia, 96(2).
Canter-Lund, H. & Lund, J.W.G. (1998 reprint) Freshwater Algae: their microscopic world explored.
Dick, M.W. (2001) Straminipilous Fungi: Systematics of the Peronosporomycetes Including Accounts of the Marine Straminipilous Protists, the Plasmodiophorids and Similar Organisms.
Sparrow, F.K. (1960 second revised edition) Aquatic Phycomycetes.

Any additional thoughts welcome.
Regards
Chris
Attachments
Netrium digitus: Lefthand cell infected with globose sporangia; righthand cell uninfected. When mature, exit tubed will be generated through the cell wall to release the zoospores.
Netrium digitus: Lefthand cell infected with globose sporangia; righthand cell uninfected. When mature, exit tubed will be generated through the cell wall to release the zoospores.
Enlarged view.
Enlarged view.
An infected cell of Netrium digitus var. latum.
An infected cell of Netrium digitus var. latum.
Enlarged view.
Enlarged view.

Paul Cannon
Regular user

Re: Myzocytium netrii?

Post by Paul Cannon » Wed May 06, 2020 11:03 am

Hi Chris
I think you'll be on your own with this one! It doesn't look very much like the pictures in the original publication (as Lagenidium netrii) - see https://www.jstor.org/stable/24333375 but it could be a different stage in the life cycle, I suppose.
Best wishes
Paul

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Re: Myzocytium netrii?

Post by Chris Johnson » Wed May 06, 2020 5:21 pm

Hi Paul

The size and shape doesn't fit the data give either. It would be good to see some modern images but I've drawn a blank. Dick's work may have some but I only get to see a few preview pages. I'll just archive it for now.

Thanks and best wishes, Chris